Falling Branch Trail to Kilgore Falls

Falling Branch Trail to Kilgore Falls is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pylesville, MD that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Looking for a family friendly short hike with a spectacular payoff? Look no further than Kilgore Falls, Maryland's second-highest vertical waterfall located in Rocks State Park. Rocks State Park remains environmentally sensitive and this area in particular, the Falling Brach area, is very well maintained. This area was once a meeting place for Susquehannock Indians.

Great trails!

a little overcrowded, but still very beautiful

Overflow parking for Kilgore Falls may no longer be available. If you would like to continue visiting Kilgore Falls, please consider reading this, signing it and sharing it. Thank you!

Great hike for my crew of four kids ages 3,3, 11 and 13. Tough for the littles that it's downhill on the way in and up on the way back from the falls when you are exhausted but they handled it well and walked it on their own.

Yes, it gets super crowded. By 12.30 when we got back to the parking lot after 2 hours of play at the waterfall people were vulturing for a parking spot. When we got there at 10.15 we had no problem getting a space.

Waterfall area is awesome! Lots of places to explore. Water does get super deep by the falls themselves (over my 13 year olds head) so just be aware with littles. I didn't feel like should've brought their puddle-jumpers, though. There was a lot of water the right depth for my 3 year olds to play in. Water shoes for sure, it's slippery and rocky.

Definitely would go again.

Pretty waterfall at the end of the heavily used trail. very busy location

Often crowded in the summer. Lots of people swimming. People leave their trash everywhere which is annoying.

I wouldn't call this trail easy, although it is great and short! The waterfall area is pretty and isn't too deep for my 6 and 4 yo boys. Great swimming. We will definitely make this frequent destination. Get there early as it got crowded when we were heading out around 1.

Super short and mild. I got here early and a park ranger let me in so I had about an hour before the "masses" started to arrive. Very beautiful and peaceful when empty. Visited top & bottom of falls. 1 hour in and out even with sitting to enjoy.

Super short and easy, got there early on a weekday and it was quiet until we were leaving.

Get ready for a crowd! This is a very popular destination for families on a summer's day. Less than a mile in and less than a mile back, with several divergences as you get closer to the falls and choose to either explore the heights of the waterfall or dive right in. Ground and rocks are slippery!

We had a great time. The falls are nice.

Nice hike. We did it while it was raining so the rocks were pretty slippery. Will go back soon

Waterfall was ok. I enjoyed the hike up to king and queens seat more.

Cool waterfall. Will go back in the summer time. Nice mountain scenery over at the King and Queen seat.

Nice Easy walk. We tried to expand this hike with a geocache, but the one along the trail is AWOL. Stepping stone path across the stream needs some help. You will get tennis shoes wet, but a low cut pair of boots will get you across the stream fine.

My favorite spot in Harford County. The hike is short but sweet, there's some ruins from an old mill about 2/3rds of the way in just off the left side of the trail if you keep your eyes peeled, but other than that the waterfall is the crowning moment. Great swimming spot too. Pack in, pack out. There's no trash cans at the fall and during the summer it can get pretty busy.

Love the waterfall at the end of the trail.

Short hike, but great to do in the off season to get some scenery. Lots of people in the summer time.