Elk Neck State Forest Trails

Elk Neck State Forest Trails is a 6.6 mile loop trail located near North East, Maryland and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Was a great trail to take. Worth the 40 minutes it took (most of us) to get there. Went with a group of 7. there was parking at the building with white roof that you can see on google maps. We did this trail in the winter (january) so the thick foliage was gone, revealing a great trail. Half of the trail was gravel/dirt road, but still nice to see. Only other concern is that we saw at least 5 hunters on/around the trail this morning, so just plan for that a well. Some of the trailed seemed like it would be hard to find once all the foliage returns. Lastly, the park map doesn't show the last portion of the trail to return the parking lot, but there is an improved trail; so it was easy get back to our vehicles. Again, a great trail, glad we found it here.

Great hike didnt see anyone the entire time. About half of it was gravel road and the rest trails. The last part of the trail headed back to my car seemed much less traversed and had more downed trees with brush over the path. This loop is close to home will definitely be doing it again.

Nice and quiet, not many people were on the actual trails. The lighthouse and overlook of the bay is great too but definitely more crowded.

Was great

I hiked at Pete bond overlook and took the lighthouse trail down trough a nice wooded area. This area was nice and open with just some tall grass, which meant ticks, but and easy walk. I came down to a point where the mason Dixon trail crosses so I took that and that's an uncleared trail, but is well marked. That came out to the elk forest trail which took me back past a gun range and a steep hill back up to my truck. Awesome walk. Will do again. BC

We parked at the Ranger Station just off of Irishtown Rd and hiked a short leg of the Lighthouse Trail (which does not lead to the lighthouse in this area; the lighthouse is down at Elk Neck State Park at the south end of the peninsula) up to the scenic overlook at the end of the Pete Bond Trail. It was a great view of the North East RIver and Charlestown, and the trail was well marked and not difficult, even with three kids in tow. The entire trail here is all forest cover. North of the scenic overlook, the trail markers disappeared, so we turned around and hiked back. I will definitely be back to hike the longer trails, sans kids.

I've hiked these trails and hunted these woods for years. This area isn't used that much. It can be busy during hunting season. Trails aren't always taken care of. There is a gun range near the entrance to the forest.

I think the other reviews are confused. This is not the area where the light house is. This trail is located in between Irishtown Road and Old Elk Neck Road.

Loved walking the trail along the river. Trails are pretty fun. It was really easy to follow the trails because they were clearly signaled. It was also really easy to switch to other trails. Beautiful park!

Short hike to the lighthouse. View is incredible! Beautiful hike and well maintained.

Pretty cool trail(Clint Eastwood shot a movie on the banks of the Lighthouse trail). This is a great trail to see Deer, Hawk, and the joining of five rivers to the Chesapeake Bay. On weekends, you may climb the top of the lighthouse called Turkey Point Lighthouse as well.