Dogwood Loop Trail

Dogwood Loop Trail is a 1.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Greenbelt, MD that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Washington, D.C.: (The park is located 12 miles from Washington, D.C.) Take Exit 23 (Route 201) Kenilworth Avenue South to (Route 193) Greenbelt Road East. The park is a quarter mile on the right. The park address is 6565 Greenbelt Road (Route 193). After entering the park, take a right at the stop sign traveling southwest along Park Central Road to reach trailhead parking. It is well marked.

Super pretty little trail, especially so close to DC. Since it starts in the middle of the park, you don't get any road noise which can be an issue on Perimeter trail. It's basically a pleasant, short, nature walk. There are also a lot of deer. My only complaint is the number of ticks. You definitely need to check yourself, your gear, and your dog afterwards in you go May-Aug. I ended up doing Dogwood and Perimeter, and my dog had over 10 ticks and I had 5. I'm pretty weirded out by ticks, so it would be something that would keep me from coming back during tick season.

Easily accessed from the parking lot or while doing the Perimeter Trail, this is my favorite of the Greenbelt National Park trails. It has more diversity in landscape, more canopy, and is quieter. Its 1.4 mi has a cute wooden bridge and a couple of short, moderate inclines.