EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Wolf Rock & Chimney Rock Trail

Wolf Rock & Chimney Rock Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Thurmont, MD that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A rugged hike to two outstanding vistas and a fascinating rock formation in Catoctin Mountain Park This is a somewhat rugged hike to two outstanding vistas and a fascinating rock formation known as Wolf Rock, traveling through immense stands of hardwoods and abundant mountain laurel. Special considerations: With two outstanding vistas, add plenty of time to your itinerary for enjoying the views.

Love the views from this trail and it is marked as Hard but I would say moderate would fit better. I will say since the last update to this app when I set record the Red Line "path" disappears making it a little hard to navigate to find your way around the loop trail when there are other connecting trails.

Nice short hike with some pretty easy rocks to climb. Was hoping for more of a mountain view but the rocks were still nice scenery.

Loved this hike! Moderate difficulty but our group had 2 five year olds and 2 eight year olds and both were able to complete with few breaks. View from Chimney rock was worth the hike.

Completed the loop couple days ago. We have just started hiking and this trail wasn't too difficult. The western part (from Visitor's Center to Wolf Rock and then Chimney Rock) was relatively easy. The eastern part (from Chimney Rock to park HQ) was rocky with uneven footing. I think for beginners like myself the better route is go up from Visitor's Center to Thurmont Vista then to the Rocks, and double back for easier decent.

saw rattlers on Wolf Rock.

Cool

Enjoyed this hike yesterday. Good view from chimney rock. While no view from Wolf Rock is true. The point of going to see Wolf Rock is the rock formation itself. It does not look like much from the main trail but once on the formation it is interesting. Be careful of the crevasses.

It was a pretty decent hike. wolf rock has to view which kinda bummed me out

Starts off challenging, mostly uphill, but well worth the views at chimney rock. We will definitely be back!

I was expecting more from the hike but it was a good one. Wolf rock didn't have a view and chimney rock was pretty solid.

We had a great time hiking this trail. We went up towards Wolf Rock first, there isn't much of a view from there but it was fun to climb and a great picnic spot. After climbing around on the rocks for a while we continued on to Chimney Rock and it was spectacular view! Now this is where it got tricky, after taking in the sites and some pictures we headed down toward Crows Nest. The trail was covered in leaves so it was difficult to get your footing and we slipped a few times, not enough to fall but enough to lose balance. As we continued on the trail it became VERY muddy, the earth was loose under our feet. With us having Snowmageddon 2016 recently and the week before we had an abundance of rain it had flooded parts of the trail which is shown in the pictures posted. It wasn't horrible enough to keep us from having a good time and we managed to carefully get around it with dry feet... Phew! I highly recommend this trail for a great little outing. I believe kids 8+ years would have a great time, as long as they are good on their feet.

I loved this hike. It wasn't difficult and there were plenty of rest spots with great scenery if you needed it. I am going to come back with some munchies next time to just hang out and take in the view a while longer.

Great hike with varying levels of terrain. I recommend taking the trail straight along 77 first and ending by coming downhill along Park Central Road because the 77 section is loose rocks and the park central is dirt and if you're headed towards the visitors center it's a dirt down hill. Easier on the knees than a rocky decent. The view from chimney rock is nothing spectacular but I'm sure would be nicer in the fall. People crowd on the rock so photo ops require a waiting period unless you don't mind strangers in your photos.
This trail is a great quick workout with some nice stopping points for the pup.

Great trail and beautiful views

We took the trail to Cat rock then Wolf rock then Thurmont Vista.
Just over 7 miles & 1387 ft of elevation gain. Well marked trail and, not very many people. good hike