Cash Lake Loop - Patuxent Research Refuge Trail

Cash Lake Loop - Patuxent Research Refuge Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Laurel, MD that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Wildlife Lovers Paridise - Herons, Egrets, Wood Ducks, Deer, Eagles The hike is short but the scenery is terrific. In one trip around, I saw three Great Blue Herons, a few wood ducks, a ringed neck duck, deer, geese and turtles. You may also see egrets, bald eagles and other wildlife. It starts at the visitor center for the Patuxent National Wildlife refuge, near Beltsville, Md. Trails are very well marked and you can get a trail map inside the visitor center. This is a great family outing. The visitor center is well worth checking out. There are binoculars and spotting scopes for observing the wildlife. Bringing you own is a good idea for the hike. 256 wild bird species have been spotted in the refuge. Ask the help desk about the north tract.

A very enjoyable nature walk with great wildlife viewing! During the summer I saw turtles, snakes, skinks, and so many birds! I love this place!

this was a fun easy trail my dogs loved it and even with two dogs we saw tons of wildlife! there are some nice places to stop and just gaze at the lake we brought lunch it was perfect.

Easy trail but scenic and great for those slowly getting back out there!

If your looking for a challenge, this isn't a good one. Good place for kids, walking your dog or just out for a stroll.

Nice lots of shade. Very
quiet.

Very nice loop. Lots of critters along the trail.

it's a nice maintained trail. If you take the fire road around you can turn it into a 5 mile hike with a little hilly section in the back.

Easy family hike, esp for young children (once they are out of strollers and can keep up.) Very few up/downs, very nice scenery and lots of variety in pathway in terms of ecosystems (lake, woods, meadows, pond.) The pontoon bridge is always a highlight for the kids.
Only downside is that on a hot day, the walks across the exposed dams are very, very hot!
The visitor center is nicer than you might anticipate,with clean restrooms, gift shop and even a small theater. (Much better than North Tract's Contact station!)

My daughter and I love this hike. It's convenient to metro area. We always see deer and a large variety of birds including egrets herons and Hawks. Great for kids as well. Use tick repellent though

Nice trails. Walked around Cash Lake - bridges are all open. Some warning signs due to hunting season but overall a nice peaceful walk that I would highly recommend. In the middle of the Baltimore-Washington region but fairly secluded. Wasnt too crowded the day I went despite it being a nice warm winter day.

Since part of the Cash Lake Trail is closed, we actually hiked the Fire Road Trail, which was very nice, and a good hike with children. We saw some interesting fungus, heard lots of birds and enjoyed the early spring foliage. I definitely want to go back in the fall. With all the sweet gum trees, it is bound to be excellent for fall colors.

We went back today and discovered that the backside of the cash lake loop is closed due to bridge issues. They don't know when the bridge will be looked at so that portion of the trail is closed indefinitely. This is disappointing since this was the highlight of of our hike back on May. Still, a nice place to do a short hike if you are close by.

We went here recently and hiked the trails around Cash Lake. The hike only took about two hours and that was with many stops to check out the wildlife. The area is very well preserved and offers chances to see all kinds of animals.