C&O Canal Towpath: Carderock to Great Falls

C&O Canal Towpath: Carderock to Great Falls is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bethesda, MD that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Flat and fun!

Great walk

Great day for a hike. The falls looked very powerful today. Glad I got there early because on my way back there were a lot of people headed out to the trail.

I took the Billy Goat session B and C on the way. This way I had hiking instead of just walking. Love the trails.

Love running the towpath. Haven't completed the entire trail but it's in my to-do list.

Very nice views! Can get a bit crowded the later you go.

I've only run it in preparation for a race or the race itself. I keep telling myself to go back and hike it. I see some beautiful settings that I want to capture thru my camera lens and I keep putting it off. Well, the weather is nice again, so I'll have to get it done.

Very cool pathway for running!!! My husband and I were amazed by the beauty in the area :-).

I used to hike the Georgetown to Rock Creek section daily. one the the best urban hikes. able to see deer, beaver and now the occasional coyote! Very easy, minor grade and a great biking trail. Take it all the way to MD.

I never tire of hiking the C&O! A path for all seasons, all ages, all fitness levels. Gorgeous views, peaceful and inspiring.

Great hike on the towpath all the way to the Great Falls.

Breathtaking views of river. Didn't do the entire trail (it's 11.7 miles) but did about half and tossed in the Billy Goat trail. Long but very good day! If you stay on the path that follows the canal, there isn't much protection from the sun, so wear some sunscreen and bug spray and take plenty of water. This path had lots of people on it... dog walkers, hikers, runners, and bicyclists, but the view is worth dealing with all the people.