Billy Goat Trail

Billy Goat Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Potomac, MD that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Billy Goat Trail is comprised of three sections of trail locatednear Potomac, MD featuring beautiful wild flowers and scenic river views. The trail is used for hiking, mountain biking, trail running and walking. It is demarcated by blue blazes and is accessible year-round. Protected by NPS and TNC. Section "A" (1.7mi; 3.7mi loop via Towpath) is the most popular and arduous section requiring scrambling over angled rocks, boulders, and climbing. Section "B" (1.4mi) is rated as moderate. Minimal rock scrambling is required. Section "C" (1.6 mi) is also rated as moderate.

Fun hike! An easier version of Old Rag

I come here almost every weekend! Extremely fun trail!

I found my happy place.

Disneyland of Trails! Loved every step!

It was a great experience for a first hike. I enjoyed the rock hopping section. The amount of people that said the trail was difficult was surprising since I found this trail very easy just a lot of up and downs. Beautiful rocks and water all around you.

I thought the views were breathtaking took some great photos. I was however not prepared for the climbing prepare to be scrambling over rocks you need both hands. Was face to face with a baby deer while eating my lunch that was neat. Though the trail made me winded fast it was worth the great photography. short but a very good workout.

The trail was good but very rocky. It's completely manageable without hiking boots or gear. There's one steep spot that looks intimidating but really wasn't bad once you realize you don't have to come back down it! I haven't been to the VA side yet but my friend said the views there are better.

A lot of fun with some great views. I don't recommend this for anyone with weak ankles! A lot of jumping from rock to rock.
If you're low on time, I would recommend section A. Not very strenuous but a good time.

Great!!!

I went on the Billy goat trail A to B with my friend it was literally the best trail in the world!

Awesome! Climbed through the rocks along the river, it took about 3.5 hours total between the climb, checking out Great Falls and the walk along the gravel trail back to the car. Well worth a visit.

It was a very nice view the whole time and part A was amazing I highly recommend doing both trails A and B.

great trail did section A and B a lot of rock climbing on A