Assateague Island's Beaches Trail

DIFFICULTY 7 reviews

Assateague Island's Beaches Trail is a 37 mile trail located near Golf Club Shores, Maryland that offers scenic views. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

beach

Directions from Berlin, MD: Travel east along Route 376 about 4 miles turning right onto Route 611. Follow it several miles south carrying it directly to the parkland. Signage is excellent.

I thought we would see some wild horses but it did not happen.

We only went to the picnic area and back. There were a lot of birds but not much else.

There was a nice breeze going, I did it in 90 degree heat, but that's my fault. I did almost nine miles. I found it very relaxing, I did not see a ton of wild life. I would do it again. There is a picnic are about 2.5 miles in. Use the beach access entry, I used the off road vehicle entrance and it wasn't convenient.

Backpacked from Maryland to Virginia (about 20-25 miles). Did not keep my phone on so I couldn't GPS my route. Took me about 14 hours, beautiful; collected all sorts of Wampum. I saw about a dozen wild ponies and a ton of plovers. Had to squeeze through the fence on the state line. Slept right near the ocean and avoided the mosquitoes. Initially I had set up camp near some of the endless dunes that span the beach but I was immediately swarmed. Word of advice: stick close to the Oceanside. Overall though very nice hike. Very desolate. You better bring enough water, food and supplies. Once you pass all of the campers in Maryland it is just nothing but beach until you get to the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. Definitely not for the faint hearted.

Beautiful seashore with nice views of the water/waves and lots of seashells to comb through. We had a great time here. Wild horses roam the island!