Assateague Island National Seashore

Assateague Island National Seashore is a 4.2 mile loop trail located near Ocean City, MD that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

sea kayaking

beach

Came here in December and it was very quiet. Only a few fishermen. Great walk along the beach. Temperature was good for a walk and no wind was blowing so we loved it. Clean beaches.

Absolutely love it there! I go every fall..

Really cool park! Not much of a hike but the horses are amazing

Love camping here. Once off the beach though there are so many mosquitos it makes it no fun to hike.

Great. Campsite on the beach and horses walk into your site

I backpacked the whole beach (approximately 20 to 25 miles) barefoot in about 14 hours. It was awesome, I saw about a dozen wild ponies and a ton of piping clovers. A word of advice: not for the faint hearted. if you walk anywhere farther than about 30 feet from shore, you'd be swarmed by the mosquitoes. I attempted to sleep in between a couple of dunes that span the entire beach but quickly abandoned the notion as the dunes prevented the wind from husking the bugs away. They drove me to sleep about 10 feet from the ocean, which I wasn't crazy about because I didn't know if the tide would be coming in or not. After about 10 miles South of the last parking lot in Maryland there were no more campers. You have to make sure to bring enough food and water because it it desolate. I had to squeeze through the fence at the state line and then about another 10 miles south of it was my pickup at the Chincoteague national wildlife refuge where I ended. More advice: walking on the wet, tighter packed sand reduced the stress on my feet.

Fun little .5 mile trail with wild horses!

Camping on the Island: (Only available on the MD state park side near Ocean City). Check-in is at noon and each beach campsite is pretty large and has a grill. There are backwoods campsites, some of which accessible by kayak. Car passes are $15, beach camping is $25 and back country camping is $5. Dogs are allowed for camping on the beach but not the backwoods area. There are several bathrooms with showers spread out the beach campgrounds - you will always be no more than a 10 min walk to one.

Kayaking: You can rent kayaks for about $10/hour.

Biking: You can rent a bike for $6/hour and ride along the main road.

Word to the wise for those who drive far to visit: practically all nearby accommodations will be full within an hour north and south on summer weekends due to Ocean City beach-goers filling up to the north, so make your reservations in advance whether it's at a hotel or camping site.

For me this is a hit or miss. If you are going just to ride or walk and be outdoors it is great. Now there has been times when the sight are wonderful birds,deer, wild horses. Down side to this is when the horses are there, the dropping are also. This place will always be near and dear to me though. My 8 year old nephews first real bike ride.