Tumbledown Mountain Trail

Tumbledown Mountain Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Weld, ME that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There are two parking lots next to each trail head. Coming from Weld you will run into the Brook Trail parking lot on your left with the trail head on your right. About 1.2 miles down you will run into the parking lot for Loop Trail.

More like a cross between rock scrambling and Jr mountain climbing. Near the top we were supposed to be able to squeeze through a small cave with iron rungs to climb through the top. When we arrived the cave entrance was frozen solid.

We had already climbed 1.5 miles straightish up and down was going to be really hard. Loop trail recommended going down on different trail.

Happened to arrive at same time as 2 young guys that had done an alternate summit to get around the cave. This meant scaling a rock face and squeezing through a tight rock crevasse/shimminging on our butts with our legs dangling over the side of a sharp drop overlooking the valley.

Meanwhile, 4 more young girls arrived so we all did it together. One of the guys was an EMT and I did a small side trip with the experienced climber to check out a tiny cave with a view to the valley below. He was really a great instructor and very helpful so I felt he comfortable trusting him over this really challenging/ risky spot.

Did it slow and steady with the guys helping all 6 of us girls. It was really such a small distance but it ended up taking us over an hour to get above the cave.

I'm 48 years old and I kicked that mountains ass! I'm going to be really sore the next couple days. I did take a pretty nasty fall, but landed amazingly without any more than a bruised forearm.

What a beautiful reward when you get to the top!!! Just breathtaking!!! A bit challenging but definitely worth it. It was a bit buggy on our way down.

great hike! challenging and rewarding! awesome views, nice streams and the lake at the top is beautiful! one of God’s great creations for sure!

rough hike up with sore knees and ankles but enjoyed camping under the stars by the pond.

geocaching

The chimney at Fat Mans Misery is not for beginners or dogs! And the boulder scramble right before it is quite treacherous but so satisfying to complete. The view of the pond from the flat top is just gorgeous! So worth the hike. Can't wait to do this with my husband. Jesse dog will have to stay home.

Loop trail was very difficult with 50+ lbs of gear, however the pond and views at the top were well worth it. The brook trail coming down was much easier and more suited for casual hikers. Highly recommended.

Awesome hike with the kids. Took the Loop Trail up through Fat Man's Misery. The views from the summit were amazing. We visited Tumbledown Pond then followed the Brook Trail back down. Overall distance was about 6.5 miles and took about 4.5 hrs to complete.

Awesome Hike Challenging For Me But Fun

Great moderate challenging hike up the loop trail and easy hike down the brook trail. Views from the summit were amazing. Great hike...highly recommended!

hiked this many times. loop trail and brook. 1 of my favorite hikes to do

Such a great time when I did this two years ago, can't wait to go Monday!!!!

I did the loop trail > Parker ridge trail > broke trail which follows a similar but longer route shape to what's pictured above. That map above will take you to LOOP TRAIL which gets advanced eventually - one of the most challenging rock scrambles (and fun) I've ever done. PLEASE BE CAREFUL there is a VERY TERRITORIAL HAWK near where the broke trail and the ridge trail meet. It dived bombed my head and I basically had to fight it with a stick!

Great hike. Moderately hard but perfect for a day hike. Lake at the top is pretty cool.

Lots of climbing - the kids loved it. More vertical than expected. Lake was beautiful and a great place for a packed picnic.

Beautiful hike! I had a dog with me so we did the brook trailhead. Plenty of brooks and pond at the top for her to cool off in! Continued on to the peak then turned around and took brook back down. Challenging for new hikers but not hard! Very fun and enjoyable, incredible views the whole time. WARNING: BRING BUG SPRAY!! My one complaint :/ the bugs were almost unbearable head in back down.

Hiked the loop trail today. Great trail, well marked, don't attempt if you are not In shape. The chimney is so neat and the views are incredible.

I hiked this with my boyfriend today, it was strenuous and that's exactly what we were liking for. We had to tool around on the ice in the chimney, but we made through and I even went swimming. The water was nice and refreshing, but too cold for my boyfriend to set foot in.