Speckled Mountain Loop

Speckled Mountain Loop is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lovell, ME that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Maine Bureau of Parks and Land: (207) 827-5936

Point to point. Had to spot a car at Brickett Place. Went up Spruce Hill to Speckled Mountain. Went across Blueberry Ridge to meet Bickford Brook trail, then down to Brickett Place.
Beautiful views at Sp Mtn Summit, and all along Blueberry Ridge. Very friendly Canadian Jay.

Ascent on Spr Hill starts steep right out of parking lot. Might wanna do a few jumping jacks after car ride. :)
Descent: Steep, somewhat tough descent down Bl Rdg trail. Initially lots of open ledges. Then gets into long stretch of steep rock steps. No scrambling, but just tough on the knees and slow going. Bi Brk part very easy down from waterfall junction with Bl Rdg.

Climbed via Spruce Hill and Bickford Brook trails, Spruce hill climbs steadily from the start, the the Bickford Brook trail slabs the contours. before slight climbs up a couple of bumps before descending a couple hundred feet and then climbing to the summit of Speckled Mtn. Nice views from the open ledges at the top and had a lot of fun feeding the Grey Jays. Had a nice surprise on the way up when a bear crossed the trail about 20 yards away!

fun hike..beautiful views on the blueberry maintain trail..only one really challenging section coming down blueberry but otherwise moderate with reasonable uphill climbing

Parts were a little too rugged for my taste, but still enjoyable. Unfortunately the day I hiked, storms came in so I did not reach the summit, not wanting to risk lightning.

A great hike if you are looking for something that doesn't take all day. With amazing panoramic views!

Took the Speckled Mt trail to the top. Great trail but no views until the summit, once there it is breath taking! As you defend down there will be the BlueBerry Mt trail to the left, take it! The trail is awesome. You hike all along the ridge and keep coming out to phenomenal 360* overlooks. It is just perfect. you will get to a section that is very steep and rocky and drops you right into Bickford slides. There's very little trail markings, you follow the Cairins. Very highly recommend this hike. Took us about 5 hrs and we move at a decent pace but nothing crazy.

Amzing hike. See below for pictures

Awesome hike! We hiked up the Blueberry Ridge trail, took a side trip on the Loop Trail just beyond the cutoff for the Cairn Trail, & hiked down the Bickford Brook trail. The hike took about 5 hours 15 minutes including rests along the way. We hike 8.6 miles total. Will most definitely hike it again! The views are breathtaking!

Great trail. Good amount of uphill at the beginning, but then you walk along the ridgeline for a good deal of the rest of the hike. Waterfall trail had some beautiful spots for a quick dip and a bite to eat, but the trail was really poorly marked, so we got lost and had to go back the way we came. That said, the rest of the trails are well marked with cairns, so it's only the small waterfall trail that had any issues. Snow still present in spots at the top of the mountain (mid-May), and lots of fresh moose dung.

I helped construct the stairs and bigs here in 95, glad y'all enjoyed it , took us 2 months

I will elaborate to help others. My boyfriend and I did this trail in full. Started by going up Blueberry Ridge Trail (steep), did the lookout add on at the top, went over to Speckled summit and went down Bickford Brook Trail, did the Waterfall trail too. Will say that the waterfall trail is NOT well marked, but worth the views. We got lost for 10mins since the trail connect back was nowhere to be found. In total it took us 4.5-5hrs total. Has parking and bathrooms. Small parking fee so bring cash.

Great hike! Full trail not for beginners.

I hiked this in 1995 if I remember correctly. Was a nice hike. The pillars at the top are a cool feature.

I hiked Speckled Mt. in early October, beautiful day with temps in the 90's. I started off from the Evergreen Valley Inn and took the link trail to cold brook trail. The first mile was easy going on a tote road, not steep at all. Once on the Cold Brook trail the path climbed for about a mile and then broke out onto big open ledges with great views of Kezar lake and points south. From this point on to the summit the hiking is mostly on open ledge with occasional trips thru the trees. All the open hiking the last mile makes this my preferred route for speckled. Met lots (14) of folks at the summit but only one on the ascent. The Canada jays were happy to eat right out of my hand when I had lunch at the top.

Hiked this with my 4 year old. He hiked it in it's entirety. This is a fantastic hike even if it's not a big mountain. The views are incredible, well maintained trail, diverse forests & wildlife. Highly recommended hike.

The Cutler Coast Loop trail is absolutely amazing. The views are spectacular and the trail provides the type of escape and solitude hikers are looking for. This was my first "semi-solo" backpacking trip. I say semi-solo because I did have a 9 month old Puppy with me. I didn't intend for the trip to be solo, but after a month of beging friends and family to take a drive to northern Maine with me, it became clear if I wanted to do this hike I was going to have to do it alone.

Day 1 - The trail begins with a moderate 1.5 mile hike through the woods. Early in the season there is still melting snow that caused a few muddy areas. The first glimpse of the coast looks like a photo from a Maine travel brochure. 100 foot cliffs crashing down into the rough ocean. The next 3+ miles is one breath taking view after another.
The great views come at a price as the ttrail hugs the coast and weaves in and out of many different terrains. You will find yourself walking from rocky beaches, to wide open fields, to stumbling up a rock face (not easy to do with a puppy and 35lbs of gear on your back).

Camping -
The trail has 3 primitive Campsites roughly halfway through the loop. I stayed at the 1st one and didn't get a good look at the other two. There is a small soft area for your tent that overlooks the rocky cliff face down to the open ocean. Luckily for my little tent, there is enough tree cover to limit the pounding ocean wind but still provide a view you look forward to waking up to.

I was to tired to assemble my backpacking stove so Lucy (my puppy) and I sat on the rocks till darkness forced us in the tent. We ate an assortment of dog food (for her!) trail mix and a sandwhich.
I did take the percaution of hanging my food from a tree about 100 feet from the campsite. I haven't read about bear problems or seen any signs of bears, but I thought it was better to be safe then sorry.
The night was cold (below 20). I woke up to tinckle and got a glimpse of one of the more spectacular skies I have ever seen. I was lucky to have such a clear night.

Day 2 - The trail countinues along the coast and passes along the 2 other campsites before breaking into the woods. All three campsites are private, well spaced and seem to have equally spectacular views.
The hike from there is virtually all forest although there are several look out points to remind you about what your leaving behind. It cuts accorss several brooks and wood bridges guide you over marshes. It was fairly easy to lose the trail, as down trees and snow covered trail markers. The trail also wasn't well traveled this early in the season. I did see several Moose / deer prints, but I didn't encounter any big wildlife. Whenever i stopped there was an eery silience that reminded me how alone I was. It only took me 2 hours to hike the 4.5 miles on day two.

Although taking on a challenge like this alone was everything I could have asked for, after a night in the woods, I was ready to go home to my wife!

There is also a trail for day hikers that cuts through the middle of the loop. I would guess the smaller loop is only about 5 or 6 miles and can be easily accomplished in one day. You can likely do the larger loop in one day (it's just under 10 miles) if your not interested in taking advantage of the campsites.