Sawyer Mountain Trail

Sawyer Mountain Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Limington, ME that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Sawyer Mountain Highlands are located about 30 miles west of Portland, Maine. With some peaks over 1,000 feet, these are the highest elevations in Maine south of the Saco River and comprise a large block of undeveloped land. The Francis Small Heritage Trust, Inc. preserves about 1,400 acres. The property offers good views from the summit of Sawyer Mountain and gives access to other summits, small gorges, brooks, cascades, ponds, and wetlands. As historical points of interest it includes Estes Cemetery and the old Sawyer and Ebenezer Walker homesteads of which only the foundations remain. Moose, deer, beaver, mink, and raccoon frequent the area. The land is open for hiking, hunting, fishing, snowmobiling on existing trails, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and horseback riding. Both on-trail and off-trail exploration of the area is encouraged. Whenever traveling off-trail (and even on-trail), be sure to bring a compass and a good map and know how to use them. Trail maps are usually available at both the western trailhead in Limerick and the eastern access in Limington. In addition to these official trailheads, visitors may also park along Shaving Hill Road in order to access the property from the south.

Starting from route 117, the trail is mild most of the way to the lookout point. After the lookout, it gets steeper heading toward the summit. Great hike and much to look at on the way up- an old cabin (it's boarded up), multiple cemeteries, and an old hunting lodge. Beautiful area! I would definitely hike it again :)

Nice little hike on mostly abandoned road. Some steeps- not bad for this far south in Maine.

Not as easy as it seems if you come from the Limington side but a nice hike.

I hiked the 1.8mi trail from Limington with my 3 kids. 9 and 6yo boys and my 1.5yo daughter. The first .8 mile was a steady incline on even terrain. That had me inspired to finish the final mile, shortly after the 1mi to summit sign the terrain changed to uneven rocks and boulders at a steep incline. My kids and I hike a lot, I'd consider us "experienced" hikers and this was a challenge. Start to finish it took us about 4.5 hours. The first half of it my toddler daughter was on her own two feet so that accounts for time. The view at the top is amazing but limited. The air is clean and light and we put in so much hard work that we were cheering for ourselves from the top! It's an excellent hike but you need good shoes and lots of water! Hope you like our pics!

Fun hike not too strenuous, some views.

Nice trail to walk with a few inclines. Be sure to wear shoes with traction as the pine needles on the rocks can be slippery. Nice hike, good scenery.

went on the hike with my dog and 4yr old. the path was a little confusing to understand... it could have just been me though :-). otherwise it was a beautiful location!

Moderate hike. Did it on a hot August sunday and only saw a couple other people. Did the summit and the overlook which totaled a little over 5 miles. Steady incline. No good views really, but the scenic overlook is better than the summit.

i go back again

Fantastic! Decent challenge, but nothing that I will scare you. I will go back!

Love it! Not easy yet not hard!

I loved this hike! However, difficulty-wise I would say it was not easy! But worth the challenge, so much to see and not boring - I was able to trail run a little but I would wear hiking shoes next time

Trail was marked clearly but ended abruptly and did not make it to the top of the mountain. Ticks were everywhere, found over 20 on us throughout the trip. Be careful with dogs because you have to cross the road to get to the trail.

Nice peaceful secluded hike. Gets quite steep towards the summit and was forced to keep up the pace in order keep the black flies and mosquitos from eating you alive this time of the year. Lots of really big old trees along the trail and a few old burial grounds to check out.

Great little trail for families, nice view at the top

Nice family hike... Rocky near the top but wasn't anything to hard... Beautiful view! We went up the limington side which is a little longer then the limerick side.

Nice easy fun hike.