Rumford Whitecap Trail

Rumford Whitecap Trail is a 5.2 mile out and back trail located near Rumford, ME and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowboarding and is accessible from December until April.

snowboarding

There are two trials up. One by the mail trail head sign. And one 100 ft farther up the road. I prefer the one farther up the road. It is an open hike (old four wheeling trail) about a third of the way. The second third is a trail through the woods and the last third is the steep rock to the summit. Great views. About 1/2 summit to explore. Dog friendly :)

Moderate hike, not very hard. Hiked orange to the summit. Tried to take the yellow trail (Star trail) back down around the other side to complete the loop but the trail markers just stop at one point...I walked around trying to find my way, stood on a ledge and tried to see if I could find the rest of the trail, was out of luck and ended up having to turn around (as you can see from my map). The yellow trail needs to be remarked REAL bad. It's semi dangerous. Just take orange up and back.

Views at the top are spectacular! It's a nice place to have a lunch and enjoy the view. This also isn't a heavily trafficked trail at all. I only saw one party returning on my ascent.

it was a great hike with awesome views!

great view

The trail is rated as difficult but I would say it was more on the moderate-hard side. There's a parking lot across the street from the trailhead with maps and the trail is clearly marked with flags and blazes. We went in July and there was an abundance of wild blueberry bushes along the hike. The peak had fantastic panaramic views of the surrounding mountains. It's definitely not a high traffic hike but beautiful and worth while, especially if you like blueberries.