Ragged Mountain Trail

Ragged Mountain Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near West Rockport, ME that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Awesome views at the top.

Great hike, great views. Good challenge for average hiker. Well travelled, well marked.

I hiked the Ragged Mountain loop via Camden Snow Bowl. I found it to be an easy hike, starting out wide and clear on snow mobile trails. It slowly narrowed into a small foot path, winding through the forest, into some beautiful meadows and back down around the mountain. Halfway through the hike I wished I hadn't forgot my insect repellent! I would advise something to deter the bugs, a hat or bandana. I also noticed some poison ivy close to the trail, long pants would be a safe bet. The trails are pretty well marked and the info signs are well stocked with free maps. I hiked from blue to orange and back to blue. It was about 6 miles and took me about 2 hours. Overall a really nice walk through the woods :)

The trail at the tip was not well marked. Ended up running into the right trial.

This is one of the best maintained trails in the area. A lot of the path was cleared of debris, and the blue markers were freshly painted.

The first 1.5 mile is fairly flat before the trail goes right up the mountain. This could give less able hikers a 3 mile loop for about a 1hr woodland walk.

The views from near the top are worth the climb. There are quite a few different picturesque spots that you'll get to before the very top. There were two hawks circling the mountain the whole time I was there.

Note: once you get to the last .2 mile from the top (where it becomes mostly rocks), start paying attention to the environment as the blue markers almost completely disappear, making it hard to find the trail back down if you weren't paying attention.

Hiked to the top of Ragged and made the connection on the other side of the towers to continue on to Bald mountain... Trail is not marked well but found myself intersecting on the right trail...
Made it to the summit of Bald mountain
And back to the truck on rt 17

Loved hiking this with my very good dog! There were parts that were quite steep but that is what made it a good hike. The views from the top are breath taking.

Always enjoyable

This is a great trail with beautiful views. In the summer, there are always tons of wild blueberries everywhere.

skiing

Check out our review & Photos on our hiking site!

Travel the East ©
Kristy Albano & Matt Pickering
Traveltheeast@gmail.com | www.traveltheeast.com | @TraveltheEast
Like us on Facebook

Entered using the trailhead off Rt. 17, this one is a little more difficult than the one off Hope St. This trail gets a little steep at times but overall, a trail that can be done if you are in good shape or willing to take some breaks.

Some nice scenic lookouts. If you are coming to Camden, and only have time for one hike make sure you get Maiden Cliff in instead of this one. Can easily do both in one day. I did this one then Maiden Cliff in about 3 hours - was moving along but doable.

A very nice multi terrain trail for everyone.

Great Hike