Old Speck Mountain Trail

Old Speck Mountain Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newry, ME that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Just east of the New Hampshire border this is Maine's 3rd highest peak. This is an easy mountain as it is only 4 miles from a main highway through Grafton Notch. It is part of the Mahoosuc Range. You'll want the crampons as the trail is very steep in places and gets icy. There is an old firetower on top that may or may not be accessible to climb.

Took eyebrow up, up to the peak, on the fire tower than down the AT. I hike a lot and thought the eyebrow was a bit of a challenge. I would recommend NOT taking dogs up the eyebrow, it's steep and lots of ladder rungs. But dogs can do great going up the AT trail. It was below freezing at the top and I did it mid October. Any later in year would require warm gear. Took me 2 hours up and 2 hours down. (But I am a pretty quick hiker) awesome view from the fire tower. An awesome 4K footer!

took eyebrow up and the AT down. found this to be a perfect 4000' hike. lots of variety and a great mix of terrain. we had a perfect day with almost no wind, full foliage and bright sunshine. The tower was very good for 360 views. only saw a few other hikers. found the at section coming down, very steep. I recommend the eyebrow trail going up. Easier, and some really neat things including cables and rungs in the steeper sections. great trail conditions. highly recommend this hike. I have finally realized that there are no easy hikes up a 4k mountain. Always harder than I think it will be, but always well worth the effort.

We did the Eyebrow trail, 2.4 miles in and back. Steep trail...not much relief. But it's a great hike if you're looking for a quick hike with a view!

Did the Eyebrow Trail up, AT back down. Eyebrow is steep with ladders and ropes required at some spots - very well maintained when I went. Awesome views all the way up, thick boreal sub alpine forests from about 2900' up to the summit. Not much trail traffic. First of my Maine 4000'ers, third of the NE 67.

Great hike! Bummed we did it on a cloudy day, the views would have been amazing on a sunny day. It was great to chat with the Appalachian Trail hikers we met along the way, though! Lots of interesting stories.

I was surprised how challenging this hike was, I took the eyebrow trail up which is a little bit longer. I recommend bringing bug spray because it was awful today. It's a pretty steady climb up for about 4 miles. Once at the top there is a watchtower to get a much better view. First hike by myself took me about 3 and a half hours.

Great hike. Challenging but the views are definitely worth the sweat. Look out for poison sumac. It's not friendly!

We enjoyed our hike up Old Speck this weekend and it was very beautiful on the way up. took us about 7 hours up and down. Always filled with nice scenery changing from rocky little water ways to small green trees to ice covering some of the path but the view is all worth it at the top with a large welded fire tower structure to climb with beautiful views of Sunday River, the Whites, Berlin, and Lake Umbagog.

Just hiked this trail and it's a ways filled with nice scenery changing from rocky little water ways to small green trees to ice covering some of the path but the view is all worth it at the top with a large welded structure to climb

Very beautiful on the way up. took me about 7 hours. well marked. Was a bit surprised at the top there is not a view due to trees unless you climb this tower. It was too icy this time of year to do that but it was still a fun hike. will

It was a beautiful trail along the AT. Well maintained, great views.

We enjoyed our hike up Old Speck the first week of September. The first mile before the first trail intersection from the parking lot is well-maintained with stairs, but you certainly do gain a bit of vert which warms you up quick. Make sure you don't miss the first trail intersection and loop back to the parking lot! Keep in mind AT blazes. Second section is easier with more switchbacks and since we were hiking the week after Labor Day, we had a pretty quiet time except for a few thru-hikers. I wouldn't call the trail one filled with false peaks, but there is a little bit of up and down on the ridge. The top has a great fire tower with beautiful views of Sunday River, the Whites, Berlin, and Lake Umbagog. Highly recommend if you're interested in a classic Whites hike that's in the low 4000 range. We are experienced and were able to complete the hike in about 4.5 hours. I had a measurement of 6.7 miles total, not 9.8, for the trail I did. Grab an AMC Maine Hiking map to assist with your drive, but it's easy to get to from Bethel, Maine.

July 2014 ~ Amazing experience for one very out of the game hiker and two first time hikers. We were probably ill-equipped and not really sure of what we were getting into, but loved the experience, despite a bit of whining and slap happy silliness upon our descent. Loved chatting with a few AT thruhikers, and definitely loved the summit and tower (which made us all
very happy and just a little shaky). Didn't love the 'false summit' situation we ran into a few times (up-down-up-down) but the real deal was worth it. Took 3 unprepared and slightly clueless women 7 hours to do the summit and back (7.6 miles total no pond or eyebrow) with time for chats, treats and, um, acclimating.

5/3/14 took eyebrow trail up to the summit, lots of snow and ice left but doable with microspikes. 360 degree views from the tower on the summit. 2 hrs 5 minutes to summit and 1 hr 10 mins decending.

Nice trail. I went over the Eyebrow first and the to the summit. Only a couple step areas and overall very manageable for most hikers. View from the fire tower is great with 360 looking to Mt Washington, Sunday River and Sugarloaf. While in the area, check out Screw Auger Falls just down the road.