Mount Kineo

DIFFICULTY 5 reviews

Mount Kineo is a 4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kineo, ME that features a lake. The trail is primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It was a great hike, we did Indian Trail up and Bridle Trail down. Great views if you climb the fire tower at the top. Our three kids (9, 11, & 12) had no problem getting to the summit, it was just the right level of challenge for them.

I've done this hike a few times throughout my visits to the area. As a child we always took the bridal trail up and occasionally the little used North Trail down. This year (2014) my husband and I took the Indian trail up and bridal down. Indian trail is quite difficult at times, close to the cliff edges you see in many photos of the mountain. It also provides many rewarding views for each strenuous stretch. A hike I'd happily do again and again!

Took the Indian trail up. Strenuous, hands and feet climbing at times but well worth the view and plenty of places to stop, rest and look out over the lake. Took my group about 2 hours to get up with a few 5 minute breaks. Took the Bridle trail down. Really fast. Only took about 20 minutes but no view.

Really fun! I enjoyed it.