Mount Katahdin via the Knife Edge

Mount Katahdin via the Knife Edge is a 9.5 mile loop trail located near Millinocket, ME. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

9.5 miles Loop

Took the Helen Taylor trail up to Pamola, hiked the knife's edge to katahdin and turned around and took Helen Taylor back. I'd recommend doing saddle on the way down (from what I heard it's much easier) because you won't have to do knife's edge twice. Hike took my girlfriend and I 9 hours and we were beat. Best hike I've done

Amazing Hike, Make sure to reserve Parking!

Headed up Helen Taylor to Pamola Peak... Which fore warning descending and ascending back up to get to knifes edge was one of the most challenging spots just because you pretty much are rock climbing at points. No complaints but it is still towards the beginning of your hike, so if your prepared and have plenty of water it's weighing you down a bit through here..

I am weary about heights but love adrenaline so was pretty weary about knifes edge. But honestly it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. There were a couple spots that left me sliding on my butt, saying some words my mother probably wouldn't have approved of, but all worth it. About half way across it got foggy and white socked. No complaints from the guy who doesn't like heights. We made good time when we couldn't see the almost 5000 feet down haha. Not to mention the second half of knifes edge was much easier. Looking back at what we just came through, made me very grateful we took it in the direction we did.

We were going to take Hamlin Peak down, heard it had some epic views. But with the amount of fog, and the 2 hour drive home, we decided to save it for next time because we WILL be back.

Ended up taking the saddle trail back down, wasn't bad at all. Made it beside Basin Pond and to the lean-toos where the ranger warned of a young bear in the area. Well needless to say 100 yards down the trail we found him

Breathtaking!

Beautiful hike. Although when I went it was a bit cloudy, it was still amazing. most of the hike is rock scrambling. For me the mental toughness was harder then the physical. Knifes edge is beautiful but for someone who has a fear of heights like myself, it was a bit difficult. A lot of post say that if you are scared of heights not to do it, but the feeling you get when you do something you never thought you could, is one that will last a lifetime so go for it! it takes a little over an hour to go across it...."Anyone can do anything for an hour"

I live in Maine and have hiked this mountain 10+ times. It is an incredible hike and If you're going to summit you have to experience Knife's Edge!! This hike is always a calming and recharging experience for me, and I feel very grateful that I get to do it every year.

Best life changing hike ever!

We never made the summit as the rain kicked up too high and some of our group were way under-prepared! Never making that mistake again. The initial hike isn't though within 1/2 mile from the summit wasn't bad at all. I'd say medium. Once above the tree line and the weather, we were done. It's a long drive form CT to the mountain so maybe someday we'll venture that 8 hour trek up and try it again. I hear that knife's edge is an amazing experience though!

Probably my best hiking experience.

Best trail ever! Magnificent view from the KnifeEdge!

The best hike ever! You must plan the day and be prepared. If the wind comes up use a different route.

Awesome trail! Not good if you're afraid of heights, though...
I've hiked the Knife Edge twice, in August 2012 and September 2011. It was much easier the second time, when I had more hiking experience and knew what to expect. The Knife Edge is my favorite hiking trail anywhere.

One of my Favorie east coast trails. A must for any serious NE hiker.