Mount Katahdin Trail

Mount Katahdin Trail is a 17.3 mile loop trail located near Millinocket, ME that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Mount Katahdin is a 9.3 mile out and back trail located near Millinocket, Maine. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

This was such an adventure with wonderful people!

We did the Hunt Trail up and down, and I have to say nothing prepared us for the amount of bouldering that we encountered. The boulders go on for miles. Bring plenty of food for energy!!! The summit is amazing and well worth it, just be prepared for the workout on the way up!

We took Hunt trail up and down. Much harder than I thought it was going to be. We ended up coming down mostly in the dark. The boulders were tough and seemed to go on forever. Beautiful views at the top!

just hiked the new Abol Trail and loved it. weather was cool and rainy, so the views weren't the best, but a very rewarding climb. harder than I thought it would be. something for everyone.

just saw Katahdin for the first time a year ago and for July 4, 2016...I solo hiked the hunt trail up and saddle trail down. if I did it again...I would stick to the hunt and take Abol down. the knife edge looks scary...I'd only do that if someone was with me. lesson learned: wear bug spray or bring fly mask!! it was completely worth it though and it is an amazing, adventure with beautiful views.

awesome !

The best!

Did not do the full loop, just up via the AT and back. Long, but this mountain takes my breath away every time.

Best hike in New England. Started at Roaring Brook - ascent via Cathedral and descent via Knife's Edge. Cathedral is strenuous and involves a lot of boulder climbing. Knife's Edge is definitely treacherous at times but the views are worth it. We lucked out with a cool, clear day so the views from the summit were unobstructed. Photos in the link below...

great trails through out. Strenuous at times, be prepared. Bring water, and be ready to work. I was able to summit in 3mm minimalist shoes, but my feet hated me the next two days. Definitely make sure you have a map, and something warm to put on if you plan to summit.

roaring brook-chimney pond- hunt and back. Wanted knife edge but my group was against it... maybe next time. I'll definitely be back.

Started at roaring brook. Hiked chimney pond trail to chimney pond. From there, up cathedral to the summit, over knife edge and back down the helon-taylor to roaring brook. Total time was about 6 hours. The cathedral was the most physically intense portion of this hike and may be the toughest 1.4m hike I have done. Knife edge was a blast with wonderful views.

Completed this in 7 hours and 15 minutes (hiking fast) on the Katahdin Stream Trail. Beautiful and very easy hike for the first 3 miles before it turns into tall boulders and more bouldering than hiking. Managed to pick the perfect day, temperature never left the 70s (Mid-August) and we had clear skies at the peak. Weather changes quickly on Katahdin, so be prepared and bring plenty of water as the bouldering is quite taxing, both going ascending and descending. We started the hike at 7am with about 25 other people. After the first mile, we never saw a soul until the bouldering section. Definitely worth the views and the trek, but be prepared for all weather (rain, snow, heat, fog, winds) as it really can change in just a few minutes.

We did this on a cool early Fall day. Highs were in the mid-50's, but the temperature got as low as 20 on some areas of the mountain. Luckily it was a clear sunny day with very little wind. We took the Hunt trail up and down, as Abol is closed. It was a full day hike starting around 7 am and returning around 6 pm. We stopped to take a ton of pictures, so if that's not your thing, it could be done quicker. It's a tough hike, but 100% worth it. I wouldn't recommend this to a beginner. Lots of hard scrambling. I recommend layers. While it was bright and sunny, the weather was all over the place. At one point, even with gloves, our hands/fingers were freezing, making it hard to grab on to things. Luckily I had hand warmers. 20 minutes later, the temperature was different and we were hot again. Such a beautiful hike...highly recommend it!

Took Hunt Trail up Katahdin! It was a very emotional bucket list experience for me...was moved to tears. It's a BEAUTIFUL trail; my #1 fave in the country so far, with the HURT 100 trail a close 2nd. Hunt Trail is a "must experience" to the top of Katahdin!

Perfect end to an amazing journey that changed my life. Have to take the knife's edge though! So fun...