EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Gorham Mountain to Ocean Path Loop

Gorham Mountain to Ocean Path Loop is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, ME that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

A wonderful loop hike that will take you along the shore of the Atlantic, over mountain ledges to end at Sand Beach. This is a wonderful loop hike that will take you along the shore of Newport Cove past powerful Thunderhole and then up over the open ledges of Gorham Mountain. You will have beautiful ocean views along the entire route. When you come down Gorham Mountain to the north you can also run up the Bee Hive if you have the energy. After you descend back to Sand Beach spend some time out on the sand relaxing!

Beautiful! Not too strenuous -- but some good climbs and descents. Much of the lower Mt. trail is covered in granite -- very unique. An easy walk. But, some slippery spots after rain. The right shoes/boots (with good tread) are essential. Views at the summits (of both Mt. Gorham and Beehive) are gorgeous! When you get to the bottom, you may want to skip the Ocean path, which has beautiful views of the water, but it's pretty heavily trafficked, and is right next to the road. You can catch a free bus -- at the end of the Bowl Trail (near Sandy Beach) -- that makes continuous loops around Park Loop Rd, and will take you back to the Gorham Mt. trailhead.

So much to see! Very crowded in the summer, so better to begin early. We started with Sand Beach and the Great Head Loop, then down the Ocean Path past Thunder Hole, and then back by way of Gorham Mountain. We were very happy that we did Gorham last...lots of fantastic views of the amazing places we just hiked!

awesome climb uphill and down.
scenic views at summit

Very nice. Technical in some parts but not overly strenuous.

Great! Fun hike and amazing views of the ocean good for kids,families and dogs.

Not too difficult and well worth the climb. For a slightly more challenging adventure I highly recommend the Cadillac cliffs spur

Gorgeous. !!

An easy, fun hike with great views at the top. This is a good starter hike for the first day at the park.

This was a fun hike, and quite challenging. It has some spectacular views looking back at thunder hole and sand beach. My 1st ever real hike for a city boy.

This is, to my mind, a perfect trail for hikers with a baby strapped in a carrier/pack. Plenty of topography to get the heart rate up, stunning views, and the possibility of being deposited right on Sand Beach. We did this as a loop with the Ocean Path (which is beautiful, if not for the fact that much of it parallels the roadway).

Very fun hike, we started in the parking lot then continued past the summit to meet up with ocean trail near sand beach and back to the car. Really really beautiful views and interesting terrain. A little rocky so going down takes care. Loved this!

This can be combined with the Beehive Trail for a rewarding 3 hours of hiking. Not too tough especially if you are coming off Beehive, which means your heart is probably pounding.

My 54-year-old parents and I hiked this today. We connected to the Bowl and the Beehive on the way down. It was beautiful - I'd definitely recommend it for anyone visiting Acadia. As long as you don't have any physical ailments or disabilities, this is a moderate trail anyone can complete and feel very accomplished at the end (believe me, none of us are endurance athletes and we were fine!). In agreement with previous posters - careful on the exposed granite on the way down, it can be slippery even when dry!

My favorite Acadia NP hike! Gorgeous views. I start at the trailhead and instead of looping back the same way continue on down the back side and hit the loop road across from Sand Beach. Its an easy walk back along the Ocean Trail to the parking lot.

Best quick/easy hike in Acadia for views.

Small peak but fun hike. I started from Blackwoods and this was the first thing I hiked.Good trail to start off on and get to know the types of trails in the area. I would suggest taking the Cadillac Cliff Trail section that loops off the path and reconnects later on if you only take the south trail to the peak once.

Loved this hike! We did this in the evening. Started at Sand Beach and did the Ocean trail and up Gorham Mountain. Perfect evening hike!