Blueberry Ridge Speckled Mountain Loop Trail

Blueberry Ridge Speckled Mountain Loop Trail is a 15.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bethel, ME that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until September.

Easy hike with wonderful views from sea cliffs, scenic coastal views The Cutler trail system is roughly a figure eight shape. The parking area is at the top left and the only three campsites are at the bottom right. It is a ten mile loop with half of the trail along the sea cliffs and the other half inland. The seaside trail ascends and descends between cliffs and cobblestone beaches, with many places to watch wildlife both marine(seals and whales) and birds. The inland trail passes through a few wetland areas where the trail is a series of bog bridges and forests where the entire forest floor is covered in lush green moss. It looks almost like a fairy tale. Several places along the trail rocky crags poke up over the trees and allow a great view of the ocean and the surrounding area. The three campsites are approx. a hundred yards apart and are quite small, but offer great views and protection from the wind. There are no fires allowed so stoves must be carried to cook on and water can be scarce at times, so bring plenty.

Amzing hike. See below for pictures

I helped construct the stairs and bigs here in 95, glad y'all enjoyed it , took us 2 months

The Cutler Coast Loop trail is absolutely amazing. The views are spectacular and the trail provides the type of escape and solitude hikers are looking for. This was my first "semi-solo" backpacking trip. I say semi-solo because I did have a 9 month old Puppy with me. I didn't intend for the trip to be solo, but after a month of beging friends and family to take a drive to northern Maine with me, it became clear if I wanted to do this hike I was going to have to do it alone.

Day 1 - The trail begins with a moderate 1.5 mile hike through the woods. Early in the season there is still melting snow that caused a few muddy areas. The first glimpse of the coast looks like a photo from a Maine travel brochure. 100 foot cliffs crashing down into the rough ocean. The next 3+ miles is one breath taking view after another.
The great views come at a price as the ttrail hugs the coast and weaves in and out of many different terrains. You will find yourself walking from rocky beaches, to wide open fields, to stumbling up a rock face (not easy to do with a puppy and 35lbs of gear on your back).

Camping -
The trail has 3 primitive Campsites roughly halfway through the loop. I stayed at the 1st one and didn't get a good look at the other two. There is a small soft area for your tent that overlooks the rocky cliff face down to the open ocean. Luckily for my little tent, there is enough tree cover to limit the pounding ocean wind but still provide a view you look forward to waking up to.

I was to tired to assemble my backpacking stove so Lucy (my puppy) and I sat on the rocks till darkness forced us in the tent. We ate an assortment of dog food (for her!) trail mix and a sandwhich.
I did take the percaution of hanging my food from a tree about 100 feet from the campsite. I haven't read about bear problems or seen any signs of bears, but I thought it was better to be safe then sorry.
The night was cold (below 20). I woke up to tinckle and got a glimpse of one of the more spectacular skies I have ever seen. I was lucky to have such a clear night.

Day 2 - The trail countinues along the coast and passes along the 2 other campsites before breaking into the woods. All three campsites are private, well spaced and seem to have equally spectacular views.
The hike from there is virtually all forest although there are several look out points to remind you about what your leaving behind. It cuts accorss several brooks and wood bridges guide you over marshes. It was fairly easy to lose the trail, as down trees and snow covered trail markers. The trail also wasn't well traveled this early in the season. I did see several Moose / deer prints, but I didn't encounter any big wildlife. Whenever i stopped there was an eery silience that reminded me how alone I was. It only took me 2 hours to hike the 4.5 miles on day two.

Although taking on a challenge like this alone was everything I could have asked for, after a night in the woods, I was ready to go home to my wife!

There is also a trail for day hikers that cuts through the middle of the loop. I would guess the smaller loop is only about 5 or 6 miles and can be easily accomplished in one day. You can likely do the larger loop in one day (it's just under 10 miles) if your not interested in taking advantage of the campsites.