Caribou Trail

Caribou Trail is a 7.2 mile out and back trail located near Bethel, ME that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Bethel, ME: Travel west on US 2 approximately 9 - 10 miles, turn south onto SR 113. Travel over the two small bridges of Evans Brook and look for the trailhead on the left side of the road. It is approximately 4 -5 miles from US 2.

Ascended The Muddy Brook Trail to the summit then descended the Caribou Trail to finish the Caribou Loop. So glad we came down the Caribou Trail as it is a very rugged trail and not the greatest views but Muddy Brook Trail was beautiful. Another plus to coming down Caribou trail was the fact that there is a beautiful waterfall with a swimming hole about two miles away from the parking lot. Hopped in, cooled off, and by the time we got to the parking lot you wouldn't have even know we hiked! so refreshing. Took two of my dogs and they loved it!

In support of other reviewer: trail is tricky to follow up on the summit area of Mt. Caribou. Very spotty trail markers- paint long faded and worn off, few cairns, and signs of travel/ trail not always so obvious.

Nice trail. Did the loop up Mud Brook Trail down Caribou.

Fairly easy trail go up Muddy Brook and down Caribou

I would call this trail difficult. Beautiful flowing water most of the way up with a great swimming hole that's easy to miss. Starts off deceivingly easy and progressively becomes more difficult. Amazing views at the top. I did it on a summer Saturday and only saw 2 other people. My only complaint; literally zero signs or trail markers!! As an inexperienced hiker I got lost twice and ended up on the mountain (with swim and breaks) for 5 hours. Was planning to descend down muddy brook trail but was unable to locate it from the summit. My athletic lab was very tired on the way down! Bring bug spray and a bathing suit!

Great hike! Lots of water, nice cascades, great views, for little effort.

My sister and I did this last August with our dog. It took us about 2 hours up and an hour down. Perfect half day hike for people who are in good shape but don't necessarily hike often. The panoramic view from the top was awesome and very well worth the hike.