Cadillac Mountain West Face Trail

Cadillac Mountain West Face Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bar Harbor, ME that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Acadia National Park P.O. Box 177 Bar Harbor, ME 04609-0177 Phone: 207-288-3338 Shipping Address Acadia National Park 20 McFarland Hill Drive Bar Harbor ME 04609-0177 More information: http://www.nps.gov/acad/contacts.htm

We started at top of Cadillac Mountain and descended almost all the way to Bubble Pond, but turned around before we reached the very bottom because my dog was with us and that last stretch is not dog friendly. Challenging on the knees on the descent. The ascent is much easier. Beautiful views and a technically interesting trail. Really a fun one.

Hiked the descent only down from Cadillac to Bubble Pond. Took just under two hours. Was not expecting this level of difficulty, partly because of wet granite at times. Definitely a challenging hike but one of the best I have ever done. Absolutely beautiful views!

Pretty difficult trail. We drove all the way to the summit of Cadillac mountain and descended down this trail to bubble pond. Very steep and difficult terrain. The descent was much more difficult than the ascent. Rough on the knees and lots of climbing down rocks. I would recommend this for only experienced hikers. Very steep rocks that require you to slide down them. Definitely not recommended for when it's foggy or even the slightest bit rainy.

Did this trail on a warm and dry summer day (80 degrees). Only went up the mountain. It is quiet steep and challenging in the beginning and in places our dog needed a boost. Some scrambling required. Needed to take several water and rest breaks on the way. Would not do this trail unless its absolutely dry, one slip and you slide or fall 30+ feet onto jagged rocks.

We went down first and then up to Cadillac Mountain. Tougher on the descent than the ascent. Took us 2 hours to descend and 1 hour to ascend. We ended up at Bubble Pond. We tried to park at Bubble Pond, but only a bus stop (no parking access). Restrooms were available there. Wear some hiking shoes with good tread. Sneakers seemed to act like skis at times on certain inclines. :-)

Great

Great challenge.

Our party was not prepared for this hike. We biked to the trailhead from Bar Harbor and four of us, plus a dog, hit the trail. We frequently hit areas of difficulty for the less experienced in our party, and heavy rains the night before made for a slippery climb. All that said, it was fun and challenging - secluded as well.

Great steep workout going up, but we couldn't go back down on it because a) it had just rained and b) we had our dog with us...she's a hiker, but the wet granite was just too difficult to keep your footing on. I LOVED the challenge and the views, but don't approach without some experience, good shoes, and some energy (and no dogs unless they're very agile). Took us about 2.25 hours including stopping to eat lunch.

Started this ascent on a day when it had rained the day before. We turned around and headed back roughly .1 miles in. The rocks were very, very slick and steep. Just in the short time we were on this trail, we encountered some strenuous climbing that required pulling yourself up over 4 ft high rock ledges with steep drops. I'd like to try it again, but only on a day when I know it's dry. I think this trail would be even more difficult descending.

This is craziest than Precipice Trail and we were not prepared for it, looking only for a trail to go back to the road after having climbed the Cadillac Mountain. We even had our little dog with us, and had to hold him half of the time which means the holder was very insecure on the rocks. Blue signs are hard to find and we took the wrong way a couple of time. There was no signs (or we didnt see it) at the beginning of the trail (up on Cadillac Mountain) advising us of the difficulties of the trail and, with a thunderstorm approaching, we were very stressed about the rocks getting wet and very happy no one get hurt at the end.
But, that said, I wont hesitate to do it again, without a dog, on a sunny day, and knowing what is waiting me!

My son and I came down this trail today. We are not avid hikers, but I run and lift at home and he is a 23 year old that doesn't do the body maintenance, but is weight proportional. We went up the North Ridge in an hour with a few pic stops, but this descent took nearly 2 hours. It's hard to believe this is rated "Moderate". You really need to look for the blue paint markings on this trail. I pulled a shoulder muscle trying to catch myself when I slipped on a steep wet spot. My son has a sore hamstring.

One if my favorite Cadillac hikes. Short steep and strenuous

Great climb, can ride down or walk down from park at top. Summit busy but west face is secluded. Sometimes had to look around for trail markers. Good challenge for a Sunday morning.