Cadillac Mountain South Ridge Trail

Cadillac Mountain South Ridge Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bar Harbor, ME that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Cadillac Mountain is the tallest mountain on the eastern seaboard of the United States. The true summit is to the left where the South Ridge Trail opens onto the gravel access road. Look for 2 survey benchmarks established by the US Coast and Geodetic Survey in 1856 and the 1954. The South Ridge Trail is a gradual climb, but it has the advantage of not coming close to the Cadillac Summit Road until the end. The trail briefly descends to a small pond called The Featherbed, where there is a wooden bench for taking a break and enjoying the pond.

I didn't do this as an out and back trail - we started at blackwoods and took the south Ridge trail to the top of Cadillac, then hit Dorr mountain through the gorge path and swung up to the gardens and meadow to catch the Island Explorer bus because the rain made our hike much more drawn out than we had anticipated. Next time I'd like to start at the gardens and hit the three peaks that circle back down to blackwoods, which was the remainder original plan. Even in the rain and fog, the views were magnificent and the people we encountered friendly. Acadia never disappoints.

Great views

This is a very nice hike that is longer than a lot of the rest. The first part of the trail is wooded and the second part opens up to exposed granite and spectacular views.

A great, longer hike of the trail.

Breathtaking!!!!!

scenic driving

Amazing views. Drove to the top and hiked all around to see out to the harbor
and surrounding islands. If you go to Bar Harbor you have go here. Wish I could have long boarded down the access road. That would have been amazing.

Nice sloped hiking. Did it with my 9, 7, and 4 yo and they only complained the last half mile. :)
Longer distance is trade off for easier slope and you can walk straight from Blackwoods.

It was 5/5 stars

I hiked this in the morning to watch the sun rise on my vacation to Acadia. 99% of people drive to the top to watch the sun rise but anyone willing to get up and put the work in to hike while it is still dark this is a very rewarding trek. Mountian marker is not a summit stick like on other hills so you need to search a little bit to find the peak marker to the south of the parking lot. Short hike from the top gets you to Dorr Mountain peak as well.

Beautiful hike with 360 degrees views all the way to the top! By far best hike I've ever been on!

This was maybe the best hike I ever did and I've been hiking for 14 years. We went on a hot day in August but the view was absolutely incredible and the store at the top is nice since it's air conditioned. You can drive to the top of Cadillac Mountain but I highlt recommend hiking.

A really nice way to see the top of Cadilac Mtn without seeing the crowds. The trail was having some maintenance work done on the lower section last summer so there were a few spots it was muddy but the views once you come out of the woods are spectacular!

I went in the fall and the views were incredible. I went back the next morning after the hike and drove to the top to watch the sunrise. Absolutely awesome! I was actually surprised at the amount of people up there at 5 a.m.. Anyway, you will enjoy the hike or the drive to the top for the sunrise.