Sugar Cane Trail

Sugar Cane Trail is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Minden, LA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This trail was fine the two times I have completed. Have not done the back loop which can be seen on topographical maps. The camping at beavers dam is good and is well worth the ten dollars. I would suggest dispersed camping for the adventurers, but it gets hairy with park hosts who are ignorant to the pertinent laws. Don't let that stop you. This place is beautiful and well preserved.

PS: I met an amazing AT thruhiker here. He was light and interactive :) we will remain friends.

SO MANY TICKS. So very, very many ticks. Otherwise, a great loooong trail. For the most part, it's well-kept, but one part that seems like it's usually boggy was totally washed out, and we ended up off the trail, then having to walk through serious mud to get back to it. There's also a big, branchy tree down around the midway point. It seems like it's been there a while. The trail is flat and generally very easy. We saw a pretty big snake on the dam. Again, though, TICKS. My husband and I ended up with at least ten each, crawling up our socks and legs. We had to give our dog a tick bath, and we're still finding them in our house. We sprayed Deep Woods OFF before we started, and it didn't help.

This was a beautiful trail with many changes in scenery. My favorite part was walking by the lake. Easy to follow- saw a snake!

nice trail few wash out from recent rains but beautiful day and great trail.

My dog and I really like this trail. It's easy to follow and peaceful.

Good!!!

Good !!!

My daughter and I had a fun February day. The trail is mostly shaded and makes a loop around the lake. We brought our dog and she loved it as well. It's very well marked, frequently traveled, and an easy hike. We saw several other hikers and a couple of mountain bikers - it was not at all crowded. We brought only 1 bottle of water each but should have brought two. If you live near or happen to be in the area it's worth the time.

Great trial, marked well and maintained well. Some loops off the trail added some greater degrees of difficulty.

very easy trail well maintained only part was where i had to walk across a fallen tree that was in the water which I thought that was pretty kewl thou

Great hike that's easy but scenery is beautiful! Very remote as well! Loved ir

This trail is in the small town of minden where I live so we go there often. Very easy nice day hike near a nice lake. The campgrounds are great. Definitely worth visiting.

Very quiet moderate hike. Flat. Nice and dry this time of year. Trailhead is located when you turn left towards the campgrounds, on the left side of the road.

I enjoyed this trail. Part of it feels like you are in a deep forest, and part of it you are walking by the lake. I didn't find the proper trailhead until I was leaving the park though. I followed the GPS on this site and I didn't see a trailhead. A little bit up from where it said it was, I found a trail that was unmarked leading into the woods. Fortunately, I was still able to do the entire trail from there. When entering the park, after you pass the signs that state a permit is required beyond this point, the trailhead is up a little on the left.

This is an excellently maintained trail. Next trip to minden I will be back. Oh ya, bring $3 cash it is a national park.

We hiked the entire trail starting at the trailhead. Overall, the trail was well maintained and marked without a lot of roots or marshy areas. It would be good for hiking, cycling, or trail running. Saw a few hikers and one group of cyclers, not too much for a Saturday. I would recommend that anyone in the area check this trail out.

05/04/14 Instead of parking at the trailhead, I parked at the boat launch and hiked around, which is a 5.1 mile loop. Starting at the trailhead adds another 2 miles, but I like just doing loops. Well maintained and shaded the entire way. I didn't see anyone else while on the trail, which ends (at the boat ramp) with a walk across the levy that separates Upper and Lower Caney Lake.

There are two loops shown on the map for mountain biking, but I am going to include those loops on my next hike there, and my guestimate is that it might add another mile.

I really enjoyed this trail! Great for biking or hiking. Part of the trail goes along side the lake and it's a nice view. For biking I would consider it as mostly easy with a few intermediate areas. There are many roots, but I've seen worse. There are a few nice hills, a few bridge crossings. There were at least 3 spots that were difficult to cross because there was standing water and no bridge. You can maneuver around it but you have to go through thick brush sometimes. Keep that in mind if it has rained a lot recently. The trail was well marked and clean. Directions to Caney Lakes Recreation Area:
Take I-20 East to Minden then go North through town. Turn right (east) at on Broadway which is the main blvd. Go a few blocks and look for the small brown Caney Lake sign directing you to turn left. That should be Lewisville Rd.(159). Follow that road north roughly 4.5 miles, then turn west onto Parish Road 111, drive 2.3 miles, enter the park on left. I parked at the boat launch.

The length of the trail is perfect for a good out and back but the scenery and quality of the trail are slightly lacking. On the day I was out there, trees were scattered fallen all over the trail which would have made it horrible for mountain biking and still frustrating in places for running. There are no mile markers or water along the course either. If you are in the area, check it out but if it is not convenient you can probably find something better elsewhere.

Very nice trail. It is well marked. Hiked it in just over 2 hours. Would be more fun on a mountain bike! Might try next weekend! Saw a deer crossing the trail. I reached the trail head in the heat of the day, at about 3 pm. The trail is mostly shaded so it was actually very pleasant.