Northlake Nature Center South Loop

Northlake Nature Center South Loop is a 2.1 mile loop trail located near Mandeville, LA that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Wetlands, pine and hardwood forests. Interesting ruins. This hike goes through wetlands, pine forests and hardwood forests. The hike passes ruins of what was going to be a golf course club house. Some of the hike is on a former road and a natural gas pipeline. The hike also has a boardwalk and bridge over a beaver pond. There are a fair number of scenic areas on the hike. You may see a wide variety of birds and other wildlife in the area. One word of caution: There are more ticks than any place else I have visited. You will also pass a few ball fields associated with Peilican Park on part of the hike. This is a nice place to experience nature, but still be close to town.

It was really fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was good seeing

Enough uncharted loops to get lost. Dry enough to not have to change shoes when you get back to the car. A jewel for those of us living in the swamps and floodplains.

absolutely wonderful. the swamp is green and the turtles are basking in the sun. very nice learning experience for the kids. the 2 mi is nice but don't much like coming through the gas line area. the parking area is small but we'll shaded. I hope they get some of the buildings taken care of. the small amphitheater is great. a pleasant surprise in the middle of the woods.

Great nature trail to do with kids. I would not call this hiking, but more walking in the woods. Good opportunity to see wildlife and fun for younger kids.

We went in late December. We enjoyed the trail, very pretty. On the downside, our dog was full of ticks after we left.

The boards at the entrance make for a slightly slippery start, but the wooded areas and the beaver pond were very pleasant. It is a little close to civilization (some of the trail follows the utilities cut) but it was pleasant and close, so i will be back to complete the rest of the trails sometime soon (maybe when the humidity drops a little!)

I was expecting a little more out of this trail than what I got. Granted, I did get to see some Armadillos up close so that evened it out. I guess it was too close to civilization for my liking. I went down the South, and north trails which were through the woods and near the lake and creeks. But the whole time I was on the North trail I could hear a baseball game going on at a nearby park. And when I stepped out onto the main trail I was practically on the baseball field. But it was still enjoyable never-the-less. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an easy hike.

Northlake Nature Center is a decent set of trails for short hikes. The three main trails together make for roughly a 4-mile hike. When my son and I hiked it, we were part of a group attempting a 10-mile hike at the Nature Center. That required us to make several loops in some instances, which quickly became monotonous and a bit taxing.

Overall, it's proximity to the local population center and decent trail conditions make this a good choice for a short hike.