Driskill Mountain Trail

Driskill Mountain Trail is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bienville, LA that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Yep, it's a pretty walk in the woods. Don't follow the blue blazes though. That trail is crooked and narrow and leads to nowhere except a false hilltop. Follow the wide and straight path and it will lead you to the right mountain top.

Super-short trail through the woods. There are actually two options - one VERY clear path and the other marked by clear blue blazes on the trees. My husband, my dog and I had a great time! There was a tiny bit of mud in a couple places, but they were easy to get around without getting our feet wet.

It was nice but very short

Hiked this trail on 3/17/2016 Nothing to it ..Unless your in the area or just want to say you've been to the highest point in LA I would not suggest this trail.All you need is a bottle of water cause b4 you know it your at the top and back down. Although it would be nice to take a picnic, and sit on the bench and watch the sunset or sunrise. You park at the church, walk down the oilfield road and you will see a sign on which way to go...

Fun for the grandsons !!!!

It's ok. I was at the top before I knew it...so it's not too long.

Easy hike up to the top. I took my day pack but could have settled for just a bottle of water. I followed the blue blazes up the false mountain and then followed the main trail back down. it's a nice hike if you're in the area but I wouldn't make a special trip for it. Small but good view at the overlook. would be a good hike to introduce kids to hiking.

Trail was clear looks like there are more trails. Wasn't prepared to do any exploring will go back and see where the trails lead

Very easy well maintained trail to the highpoint. I would recommend it to anyone visiting the area, though I probably wouldn't do it again until winter (too many spiders, and I'm sure more bugs during the hot humid day). Nothing spectacular at the top (there is a bench, sign board, and a notebook to sign), though there is an overlook that I did not visit.

The trail is as follows:
Park at the church (Google Maps lists it as Driskill Church off LA507). There is an arrow pointing north up a private road.
Head up the road and after about .25 miles, on the left is a sign pointing towards the actual trail.
Follow the path and/or arrows to the top. (To visit the false peak, there is some overgrowth as the trail is not maintained).
To return, simply follow the same path down.

Took my kids on the hike up Louisiana's highest peak in the Fall of the year. It was nice and cool and the view of the trees from the top (although small) was really unique for our typical landscape views. My teenage kids found a letter written to a deceased Father from his wife about their life together and left on the trail. She wrote about how she goes there to feel close to him since he enjoyed the place so much. Although bizarre, it added to the adventure of our outing.

It was a well marked quite easy out and back trail. Hiked in early June, bugs everywhere, but tolerable. Well shaded with trees everywhere. One slight opening in the trees at the peak to another mountain in the distance, surprising view for Louisiana, but nothing to really brag about.

Very peaceful hike. Not really any views but my dog and I really enjoyed the solitude. There are a few benches here and there you can sit as well.

Beautiful!

Excellent, well marked trail suitable for all weather conditions.

Hey, it's not the most scenic or technical but it was fun. Well kept all in all worth the time if you happen to be in the vicinity.

Took my dog and it was a nice, short walk along the trail. The lookout was nice for Louisiana. I've hiked mountains in PA so this was the shortest hike yet!

Nice short hike to the Louisiana high point. The trail was well marked with info along the trail. I really liked the Eagle Scout project at the summit where you can sign your name. Great view from the overlook. Don't get discouraged when you don't see any signs on the drive in, just follow the directions from this site. I wasn't sure I was on the right road until we drove up to the church at the trailhead. Talked to some friendly people at the summit. Looking forward to visiting some more state high points.

Great hike to start with! The look out is beautiful. There were a lot of animal tracks on the trail and around the trail, but we never saw any animals. There were also horse prints. There is also a wooden teepee on the right side of the mountain as you're going up. Not sure why it's there or who put it up, but it was cool to look at.

Nice trail that took my wife and I about 45 minutes round trip to complete. The trail is well maintained and there's a lookout spot at the top. We're both native Louisianians so we knew the views wouldn't be spectacular, but it was a nice break from the flat landscape that we're used to and was an enjoyable hike for North LA. Pull into the Mt. Zion Presbyterian Church parking lot to find the Driskill Mountain trailhead. Also, be sure to sign the guestbook at the top.