Backbone Trail

Backbone Trail is a 9.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Provencal, LA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

great trail, beautiful views on the south end.

Enjoyed this trail very much. As other reviewers suggest, park at the Caroline Dornan trailhead and walk the 2.5-3 mile road to the north end of the Backbone trailhead. The northern end has several burned trees from a fire last year (I believe) Make sure to pack at least 2 liters of water as the water sources are located near the middle to second half of the trail. Campsites are located throughout the length of the trail. Some better than others. We camped on a ridge at the first creek crossing. The southern end of the trail is much more scenic. Did a side hike on some of the Turpentine Trail. Next time I will check that whole trail out. It was pretty and worth the detour. All in all we did over 14 miles. I thought the trail was well marked. There was only one part where a very large tree was down on the trail, but the trail continued directly behind it. We just had to go around it. Take notice of the switchback. We happened to see a tent with hikers and headed that way to ask about water sources and they directed us to the trail that continued down the hill. We may have continued straight, but would probably have turned back after not seeing a trail marker. I suggest to properly prepare and if you are someone who is regularly active this trail will give you a workout, but not be unmanageable . Enjoy! Happy Hiking!

Just hiked the Backbone Trail as an overnighter. Parked at Caroline Dorman Trailhead and hiked the road 2.5 miles to the northern Backbone Trailhead to start. I recommend doing it this way if you have one vehicle so you don't have to hike the road after the trail to get back to your vehicle. Trail was nice and different than most hikes in Louisiana. Very primitive in spots and rocky. The southern part by the creek areas and Turpentine Trail is more scenic and more hilly. We packed enough water for the first day and filtered water for the last day at the creek crossing. We will be back for sure.

Nice hike. Fairly easy. Variation in terrain but nothing unmanageable at all.
Except for a portion of trail about 2.5-3 miles in from Caroline Dorman TH entrance where big trees have fallen across it and it's easy to get off trail. Which we did. We came in from backBone TH. It may not have been an issue coming in from Caroline Dorman TH.
The only way we found the trail again was luckily we ran into a ultra marathon runner who also missed it on his way back and was able to show us once he got his bearings back. He came in from that way so he had an idea of what he was looking for.

How is this trail for backpack camping? Are there defined camping spots or do you just pick a spot where you want? Planning a trip mid November but wanted to get some info before going.

Just hiked the backbone trail this past weekend (Sept. 2-3). Was anticipating there to be water at the bathrooms at the Caroline Dorman trailhead where we started, but there was not, so be prepared for that and bring water before you go. Wore shorts as it was beginning of September in Louisiana, but I would STRONGLY recommend wearing hiking pants-had to do a bit of bushwhacking and ended up with many cuts after. As stated, your biggest challenge will be water, so be prepared. We got a late start and only hiked about 1.5 miles in the first night before finishing the rest the next day. Trail was a bit sandy and provided a good workout and escape from reality. Did not get any views as we did not have time to hike the highridge trail, bummer. All in all, I would probably go back and hike this again, but I would wear hiking pants and bring more water. Also, I mapped the hike along the road and it was just over 3 miles. Next time, I would knock this out in the beginning of the hike because hiking 3 miles in the brutal heat at the end of the hike was rough

Great trail that was really enjoyable to hike. The bad part is you have to park on end and you will come out 2.5 miles from your vehicle. We had to hitchhike standing on a truck bumper to get back. Thank you for stopping whoever you are.

Started at the southern end and I agree with the reviews that the southern half has better views than the northern half. I don't know that it is actually possible but there seemed to be a lot more uphills than there were downhills. Maybe do it from northern end to southern end and it'll be more downhills! Overall, not a really difficult trail.

Beautiful 7.5 mile hike!! We saw 2 deer and 2 snakes along with a number of other little animals. Beautiful stream about halfway through. The only issue with this hike is the 2.5 mile hike along the road back to the parking lot when you're finished. That was a long 2.5 miles!!!

Nice hike. Started on the Northern trailhead- scenery is definitely MUCH better on the southern half of the trail. Bring plenty of water- gets rather warm after 10 am. If only comparing to other Louisiana trails, I would give it a 5+

Fun, easy hike but long! Beautiful scenery through the woods. Crossing the creek at one point required wading across but the water was clear. We took our dog. Worth it!

Good trail. Enjoyed the second half better than the first. Started across the hwy from the Caroline Dormon trailhead. Had to walk another 3 miles on the hwy after the trailers to make it back to the car. Could always back track, but glad I didn't because I saw three deer off the road side.

We really enjoyed this trail. We had a group of 10 and the only time we had trouble was when we had to cross a wide creek because it was too cold to wade (in January). The trail wasn't very well marked but we didn't have trouble following it. Two girls with us had never been hiking before but were ok on the trail (one was struggling toward the end though). There are a few really pretty vistas along the way. I'd definitely hike this trail again, it's one of the better ones in Louisiana.

We did Turpentine trail and finished on Backbone Trail. 5.6 miles. Trail was muddy in spots and not clearly marked, lost track a few times. Also the dashed map on here is incorrect at times.

Nice trail. Nice place to camp about 4 miles from trailhead with great cell service. A lot of up and down from one end but it is mostly flat hiking on the back end. Can be muddy and sometimes has large trees on trail.

my favorite trail in Louisiana.

I loved this trail. This is the first trail I have been to around here where I felt like I was in the wilderness. It is easy in spots, and quite difficult in others. It is a point to point, so if you hike it all the way to the end and don't have anyone to pick you up, it's a 3 mile hike down the road back to your car where you started the trail. That is what I did. It's well marked in most areas, but I did get lost a few times and had to backtrack to try to find the trail again.