White Oak Trail

White Oak Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Horse Cave, KY that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

5.0 miles Out & Back

Went with a friend for a single night trip. The trail is pretty easy/moderate, mostly flat except for the decent to the river. Was a little disappointed that you cannot really access the river, was hoping to do some swimming. Entire hike to the campsite and back we had to wield a large stick in front of us to clear spider webs across the path, I've never seen so many on one trail before! Also, TICKS. After returning back to our car, we found dozens and dozens of seed ticks between the two of us. I would recommend waiting until late fall to do this trail, or get some really good repellent! Campsite does have a nice flat area for up to two tents and fire pit with a few large tree trunks to sit on.

Trail was very muddy most of the way, but does clear up towards the end. All downhill there.

Beware of ticks! We found hundreds of them between myself, my boyfriend and the dog.

Trail is super easy and the camp spot is worth it. On the river surrounded by huge white oaks. Fire pit with cooking grate. Sweet spot.

Nice trail, however from 1/2 mile to 1 mile from trailhead there were some muddy areas even though it has not rained in about a week. The only moderate area was the 400 ft decent to the river/campground, which has a lot of loose rocks, so hiking shoes might be a good idea. At about 1 3/4 miles there is an intact stone chimney just off the trail on the right that use to be part of an old homestead. The campground has a level area for a tent, a fire pit, a nice long log to sit on near the fire pit, and a place to tie-up a couple of horses. Make sure you check for ticks since we found about 10 on each of us at the end of the hike.

My wife and I hiked this trail last weekend. It is a really easy hike with a full 60 pound pack. The last half mile is a 185 foot descent down to the backcountry campsite and the Green River. The hike out was a bit difficult with the heavy pack as the 185 foot climb is on a single track trail that has been washed heavily by rain water and run off. This has exposed a lot of softball sized rocks that make the footing quite tricky. It was challenging but a lot of fun. About a mile from the campsite is an old stone chimney an home foundation. Pretty cool to see the workmanship! A very enjoyable hike and well worth the trip.

This trail is right beside by dads house near Cub Run. The hike is fairly boring until you reach an old chimney on your right. This marks the turning point where the trail begins descending to the Green River. Very Nice from that point on.