Vernon-Douglas State Nature Preserve Trail

Vernon-Douglas State Nature Preserve Trail is a 3.7 mile loop trail located near Elizabethtown, KY and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

3.7 miles Loop

Loved this hike! Definitely a moderate hike when you do the entire loop.

Nice hill climb, not to steep. Trail needs maintaining as trees have fallen over primary trail.

Great place to get away from the world as I and my two furry companions were the only ones on the trail this day.

It was a very nice hike. It had rained the previous night. The trail was very muddy and many of the small streams were difficult to cross. The trail is in bad shape. There are many fallen trees across the trail, debris wash outs, and over grown.

It was not an easy hike all the way around. There were steep climbs. Our trail was rained on so a bit slippery in some areas. Also, lots of ticks to pull off of yourselves, so carry your deet. Overall, it was a wonderful hike, but not for smaller children. Would do it again.

Great trail for early spring. I can see where it would easily get overgrown. Bring a walking stick to pushing back the brambles (we left a couple at the entrance).

It could be better marked. Nice area though.

This is one of my favorite trails ever.Especially in the winter. A lot of wildlife and wonderful view from the pinnacle.

Lots of thorny overgrowth. plenty of mud. some really cool sections of moss and wildflowers. we may have come at the wrong time, may be more beautiful later in the spring. our 5 year old completed the trail. GPS claims the entire distance to be 7.1 miles.

The trail was a little hard to find, and only had a small parking area. It's a decent trail but needs to be kept up a little. Over grown in some areas and many spider webs! No good views of any hills due to leaves on the trees. Still a good workout with some steep climbs.

Was visiting in KY today and decided to check this out. It's not well known at all and there's no sign's indicating its existence from the road. We even had to guess as to the parking lot.

All that aside is a pretty fun hike. Lots of wild growth and some col species of mushrooms to see, if you're into that sort of thing. We scared a deer right at the start so you might see some wildlife.

The trail is marked well with orange markers, though the growth has over take a several areas. It felt like Aguirre The Wrath of God, a couple of times(check that movie out BTW) but I enjoyed all that quite a bit. Some areas are quite steep either way you go, so be prepared either way. We chose left at the fork, and I really think that's the way to go.

Also note that one section of the trail has a lot of thorny growth, so dress accordingly. My wife was thinking shorts but I changed her mind to jeans and she was thankful for that.

The views up high are nice but pretty obstructed. I didn't mind though, the forest was so beautiful and lush there was always something nice to see.

if you're in the area, definitely give this a look.

Nice trail right off BG parkway. Hiked in fall 2012, at times was hard to follow trail. Seemed to have limited use.

This is my home trail..i love it..quiet, lots of wildlife..beautiful

This beautiful trail is well-marked and rewards with great views. If you've ever gazed at the Kentucky hills while driving down the freeway and wondered what it would be like to get to the top of one of those hills on foot, this trail is for you. The climb is well-paced with level parts mixed in with the steeper parts, and the surface is good. We turned left at the point where the loop started and if I did it again I'd do the same thing, walk out to the pinnacle, and then retrace my steps: the lower section of the trail, from the pinnacle on around the remainder of the loop, is low, wet, and not as pretty or easy to follow. (But if you want is crinoid columnars, you'll want to do this low section by the creek.)

Challenging loop trail - 2/3 mile from start point to the 2.5 mile loop; go right on the loop if you don't want an up hill walk toward the end of your hike! Overlook at the Pinnacle has great view which may be obscured by trees in the spring/summer. Here you can find Crinoid Columnals... pretty cool stuff -look it up before you hike.

Great local little known trail. The state is re-routing part of this trail which will make it a little longer.