Siltstone Trail

Siltstone Trail is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fairdale, Kentucky that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

Siltsone Trail is a 6.7 mile point to point trail located in Jefferson County Forest. The trail is a ridgewalk running from the Welcome Center to Scotts Gap with excellent views the length of the trip. The majority of the elevation change occurs near the four road crossing during the hike. The Silstone trail is a 6.7 mile ridgewalk connecting the Tom Wallace Recreation Area with Scotts Gap. Both areas are part of Jefferson Memorial Forest.

The distance for the entire trail is 31.5 miles, round trip. There are no spectacular views, but it is a nice, well marked ridge-top trail. The trail was popular with trail runners and dog walkers, but we felt reasonably alone for most of our hike, Most of the people we saw were near the parking areas.
We intended this hike as a training and exercise hike, and the distance and elevation changes were ideal for this.

Very beautiful trail with lots of elevation changes. Trail need a little work but it is winter and not peak season. It looks like trail posts were recently replaced. Overall a very enjoyable trek.

This was my first time on the trail and definitely a tough one. I don't suggest this trail for anyone who isn't moderately in shape. Having completed 30 half marathons the mileage didn't scare me, but I wasn't prepared for just how taxing the elevation change would be. Lots of ups and downs make this a great, challenging hike. Wasn't difficult to maneuver my way around, but the acorns made it a bit tough to keep my footing from time to time. I will definitely do this one again.

I took an "Alone in the woods with God Day." What a great hike. I was truly alone - no other people. I saw 8 types of mushrooms and collected some amazing geodes. Going to do it again as soon as the leaves are off of the trees.

trail was great. great day hike. the only thing that needs work is marking of trail heads.

Great day hike! It will test your endurance for sure. I loved it! Lots of elevation changes. Only saw one person on trail. Lots of ticks though. A definite must do!

Steep trail, but kids were hiking it also. Very pretty!

I love the Siltstone trail...actually my favorite trail in Louisville and surrounding areas so far. I have completed it twice with lots of "mini" hikes on it other times and I've come to know it very well. I love the challenging terrain and how it feels very isolated so near the city. My eight year old son has completed three miles at a time with me and he loves it as well.

Good hiking with lots of elevation changes. The trail is a bit narrow. Only wide enough for 1 person most of the time. I only did half the trail and turned around. I only saw 2 other hikers during my time on the trail on a Saturday afternoon.

great trail

Siltstone Trail is a great hiking trail and it’s hard to believe this forest exist so close to Louisville. In the winter months you are able to view Louisville skyline and airport. High Knob is properly named and set between Bearcamp and Scott Gap.