Sheltowee Trace NRT - Northern Terminus to Cave Run Lake

Sheltowee Trace NRT - Northern Terminus to Cave Run Lake is a 36.5 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Morehead, KY that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

36.5 miles 6008 feet Point to Point

cave

This is the first 37 miles of the Sheltowee Trace NRT starting from the Northern Terminus heading south to Cave Run Lake. This section of the trail mostly leads across ridge tops. The trail goes down Main St through the town of Morehead. The end of this section hike ends just after crossing the dam at Cave Run Lake.

we will hike this Sheltowee Trace in its full length. Started from the Northern terminal at the trail head on November 9th 2016. I will spend my 71st birthday on this hike with my son Tom. We left at 3pm and hiked in 2 miles and stopped for the night. Right away we are aware of deer. We are trying to get this hike in before Saturday's Deer Seasons open. This trail has many private property signs along the trail. The blaze marks are also very good. First night temperature got down to 31deg. At 4.2 miles there is a good camping spot with water to be filtered. At Dry branch which is 10miles there is water from a faucet at a property owner that is very hiker friendly. We left a vehicle here because it is close to the halfway point for this leg. We went on through the cattle gate here until we came to the next cattle gate. We made sure to close them to keep his cattle in. At 11 miles we set up another camp. Next morning set out again and came to Holly Branch and a road where we could filter water. This is at 12miles. From here it is up a valley then a steep climb to a log road that parallels Hi way 64 for about 3/4 miles where at 15 miles we cross over hi way 64. Walked the forestry Ridge Rd for 4 miles then to Morehead to get the other vehicle. Total hike was about 26 miles. The scenery is hilly with lots of wildlife. We plan to repeat this action on following legs. Take two vehicles. Put one at trailhead and the other one at the end.

Did a portion of this trail in the springtime.

This is a section hike of the Sheltowee Trace. I have mapped it out after carefully studying multiple maps. I will be backpacking this section in a couple of weeks (Memorial Day Weekend) and will bring a copy of this map along with a map I purchased to reference and take notes. I will also record my trip and update this map upon completing the hike with any necessary changes and a follow-up review. I will do this for each section of the trail while trying to stay between 30-40 miles per each section. This will create a multitude of 3-day trips for those who may want to hike the Sheltowee Trace in sections.