Pilot Knob Trail

Pilot Knob Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Clay City, KY that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

great small trail, lots of elevation

We went mid November and we loved it.

Beautiful view

Great hike today , 1.74 miles from 815ft to 1394ft
Amazing views from on top

Great hike straight up to an amazing vista!

Easy hike

Great trail, definitely a hike but well worth it for the view. Tried to do the sage loop on my way back down, couldn't find where the trail re entered the forest off the gravel road, ended up up just hiking back up.

Breathtaking overlook!

Very enjoyable Trail with my Dog. so peaceful and enchanting...We will be there again.❤

AWESUM

Beautiful!

Really enjoyed this trail. The hill had me huffing and puffing for a little bit, but it was all worth it when I reached the top. Great scenic views. Could actually just make out the 5/3 Bank Building in Lexington when I was up there. Other than the view, I really enjoyed the trip up and down, it was very quiet with nothing but insects, bird song, and the sound of my own foot steps being the only things I could hear. It was great to be alone with nature for a bit.

such a beautiful view. defiantly worth the hike.

definitely need to make this hike

Great views. Steep hike up the mountain but definitely worth it for the view. Dog had a great time as well.

Great views at the top of Pilot Knob

One of my favorite trails outside of the Red River Gorge. Great views from the top, all the way to Lexington on a good clear day. The trail entrance is on the opposite side of a fairly large creek, so bring waterproof boots. Parking area isn't huge, but I've yet to see it full enough to make getting in or out difficult.

Dogs are technically not allowed, but if you miss your pups, there's a fair chance one two local dogs will follow you up the trail.

A fun hike, though short. You'll gain a fair amount of elevation and the views are nice at the top.
There are enough trails in the area to make a loop that's a little longer.
I hiked there after an ice storm and the trail was a little treacherous, though navigable, and it was GORGEOUS. Definitely recommend this hike in the snow or ice, just bring some crampons or cleats, several people in our group took nasty spills on the ice.

The parking area is large enough for about eight cars and dogs aren't allowed.

Great trail to do in the winter. Fabulous veiws. And lots of wildlife to see.