Courthouse Rock Trail

Courthouse Rock Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stanton, Kentucky that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

7.4 miles 2030 feet Out & Back

rock climbing

This trail connects as a loop off of Auxier Ridge Trail. The trail leaves the Auxier Ridge Trail and descends below the cliff along an old logging road to a large rock formation resembling a courthouse.

Very fun trail

Good trail well worth the price of admission

I bouldered to the top of Courthouse Rock and the view is amazing!! The climb looks scary looking at it from the ground but it is so worth it once you make it to the top! An advanced climb up on top of the rock but the trail to it is fairly easy.

Heavy damage with trees down caused some grief. Significant uphill on the return trip. Worked hard to avoid poison ivy next to the trail most of the way. Lots of spider webs from low traffic. Until this trail is cleaned up and more heavily traveled, I do not recommend. If you are so inclined, take this trail out to Courthouse rock, and take Auxier Ridge trail back to avoid the uphill return. Auxier is dynamite, by the way, and my recommendation to see Courthouse Rock.

Very enjoyable hike with great views. The last part about 10 yards wide with drops on either side. We jokingly called it Angels Landing East.

Great Trail spent the night on Auxier Ridge.The past fire made for some interesting views.Love The RRG!

Was a great trail. Not too hard and scenery was great. Stopped and had lunch on Auxier Ridge with a view of courthouse rock and double arch. Saw plenty of people on the trail and many dogs enjoying the sights as well,

This was one of the very first hikes I'd ever done. Frankly it's what got me into hiking in the first place. While we didn't actually follow this trail, our destination was Courthouse Rock. We actually just parked our car along the access road, got our bearing and walked into the woods with a general direction of where we were headed. The views from the top of the rock were breathtaking. Bring a camera! There is a bit of rock climbing involved to get to the top, but nothing technical. I made with absolutely no experience at all, but of course I was in my twenties back then (early to mid Nineties). While there we met several other groups of great people all willing to trade / share food, drink and advanced rock climbing gear, for descending the face of Court House. When the sun went down, it turned into a party at the camp site at the base of Court House. All in all this was the best Hiking / camping experience of my life.

We did the Double Arch Trail and then took the Auxier Bridge Trail to Courthouse Rock. From there we returned on the Courthouse Rock Trail. Courthouse Rock was wonderful. My profile pic is taken at one of the viewing points. The views or the Gorge were spectacular that day with the mist rising after the rains we had had earlier. Courthouse Rock Trail on the other hand was a somewhat difficult trail. There were sections with fallen trees and areas where the trail was hard to find. There were several times when one of us would make the climb to look for the trail before the other would follow. It seemed as though we were the first to take this route in a while. If I make the trip again I will opt for the Auxier Ridge Trail.

Combined this with Double Arch, it was awesome, so much beauty, love Red River Gorge, it is a great hike, little over 8 miles.

Combine this hike with the Auxier Ridge and Auxier Branch trails, and take the side trip to Double Arch, to make an 8-mile loop. This is probably my favorite hike in the Gorge so far. Spectacular views and not too strenuous, but not too easy either.

wonderful trail! if you add the double arches trail to it you can make a really nice loop.