Columbus - Belmont State Park Trail

Columbus - Belmont State Park Trail is a 2 mile loop trail located near Columbus, KY and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Fabulous! We are hikers, but we also appreciate a challenging walk through history. We're camped here at the park. This park is VERY well maintained. Granted, it's not as long or as far of a walk, but it's also very hot this time of year. The heat index reached 108 today!

I live in the area and have walked this trail hundreds of times as a kid. For the majority of the trail you are walking through trenches that were hand dug by the Confederate soldiers who were expecting a major battle with the Union, whose nearest fort was only 20 miles to the North. This location is also known for the Trail of Tears crossing of the Mississippi River.

It's not a very good trail for hikers (being as short as it is) but you will have some great views from the bluffs looking over the Mississippi River and into Missouri. I highly recommend the trail (as well as Columbus-Belmont State Park) for history buffs, sightseers, and tourists. There's a campground, playground, museum, restaurant, gift shop, barbecue pits and public bathrooms on the premises. There's also a boat ramp (onto the Mississippi River) less than a quarter of a mile away.

loved it!

The trails are relatively short but well maintained. Very easy walk. I enjoyed the park more for the historical significance than the hiking. I would recommend going if you are in the area.