Osage Nature Trail

Osage Nature Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Newton, KS that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running.

old growth

Nice Trail and plenty of scenery.

Pretty fun. Took my 10 & 13 yr old sons with me. They weren't thrilled that they had to tag along with me, but by the middle of the hike they were having a good time.

I hike here often. Great birding & wildflowers!

It was fun hike with the kids, and offered beautiful scenery... We will do this again... ;)

Loved going for a trail run on this trail. Will return to explore more of this trail before long.

Nice, quiet trail. It was well-groomed while we were there in May 2015

canoeing

Great trail beware of bears though

Went for a visit on a warm Spring afternoon. The trail winds in and out of tree cover so be ready for the sun on a Summer day. Thankfully there are benches in shaded areas along the Northern loop of you want a break along the way. The parking area is easy to find, simply following 1st St. East out of Newton and using the Osage Nature Trail signs that mark the way. Upon entering the trail you are met with a new information kiosk including maps and local wildlife information. The trail was well marked and cleared and served as a nice walk with very few ups and downs. My wife, son, and I enjoyed the interlocking trails that allow you to choose how much you want to hike. We will visit again!

I haven't been to this nature trail for several years, but decided to go today with my dogs for a change of pace. I was totally shocked at the poor condition of the trail. The actual trail was hidden by overgrowth, and downed trees! It looked like no one has cared for it in such a long time. Needless to say, we only attempted to walk for a short distance then had to turn back because the trail was blocked and looked almost nonexistent. I don't know who is in charge of the upkeep, but obviously no one is doing their job.
I don't know if I will ever go back and it breaks my heart to see this once beautiful trail look like just an overgrown non-cared for piece of land!