George Lathan Hiking Trail

George Lathan Hiking Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Berryton, KS that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

Nice trail, relatively easy. I went here with my 3 & 6 year old boys on a Saturday morning to do "exploring". Great couple hours hiking the trail for a few miles.

We use this trail in the spring to get back in shape we load are packs and hike the trail to show us how far out of shape we are with a 30lb pack. It is a great place to start getting ready for longer trails it has some nice views of the lake the trail is well marked there is camping along the trail and there is water at the trail head. we are in our late fifties and like the loop. if we want to camp we hike the trail then do it again to pick a place to set up camp

The trail is pretty easy hiking through fairly typical NEKS terrain: mostly glades and oak/cedar forests. Bright blue blazes so often that getting lost is nigh impossible. Well-maintained and easy to follow, even in the dark.
The best feature of this trail is the hike-in camping! Very nicely built campsites with rock benches and fire rings and space for tents or hammocks. There are also a few open meadows for campers who tread lightly. The latrine at the trail head is as clean as they get and regularly stocked with toilet paper. The main campground as well as the trail was pretty busy the weekend we visited, but everyone we ran into was friendly and respected each other's space.

I have hiked this 3 times this year. it is over grown. I have helped each time by throwing some branches off the trail, a tree and picked up trash. it is a awesome trail just needs some work.

nice hike.The open field areas were a bit overgrown this time of year.but overall very nice.no traffic noise just birds and some water sounds.must carry a spider web stick!

Good trail for any type of hiker. Good views of the lake and a quite hike, only saw one other hiker. Watch out for poison ivy as their is plenty of it. Overall a good hike.

Great, simple trail! Definitely easy for beginners if you don't mind spending about 2 hours outside. Definitely a great hike if you want something with varied views (forest, lakeshore, open meadow) without a lot of strenuous uphill. Also very quiet and not likely you'll run into other hikers. Lots of campsites scattered along the trail too!

This is absolutely the best spot near Lawrence. Also the only reason it's not rated higher is two people who positively reviewed the trail but did not rate it... :(

What a hidden gem. It was quiet, only two cars in the lot and someone tent camping near the entrance. The walk started out with a large flock of Robins hopping about from tree to tree. I had no idea they cameto Kansas this early in the season. Lots of other birds, great landscape, a very clean trail and primitive campsite's where people have gathered stones and built some best wind breaks with them. It was nice to be able to walk down to the lake and if you wanted to follow along the shore you could. I'll be back!

I had a nice brisk walk at around 30 degrees. The trail was nice, and as mentioned quiet. There is potable water at the head of the trail, and very accessible camp sites.

One of my favorite trails. Has a nice mix of woods, prairie fields and lake shore. There are campsites along the trail and I have backpacked in with my daughter before. It's a nice kids hike, either part way or the whole trail. There tends to be a lot of ticks and poison ivy though, so be prepared!

There also is primitive camping at the trail head. It's not very heavily used, and free!

I love this trail! It is fairly easy to walk, and there are several fabulous primitive camping spots with fire rings, both cooking and campfire. The thing I really loved was that we heard no distant roar of traffic. Only nature. We saw only three people although there were about 5 cars in the parking lot when we began the hike.

Very nice hike along this trail over Thanksgiving weekend.