Waubonsie State Park Trail

Waubonsie State Park Trail is a moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Hamburg, IA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

wheelchair friendly

Picnicking/Shelters Waubonsie is a great place for a family picnic. A scenic open picnic shelter may be reserved online through the park reservation system. Camping There are 40 campsites, 24 with electrical hookups, modern shower and rest room facilities and a trailer dump station. Bicycling, Boat Launch Ramp, Boating, Cabins, Camping - Electric, Camping - Equestrian, Camping - Nonelectric, Camping Cabins, Cross Country Skiing, Day-use Lodge, Dump Station, Fishing, Hiking, Horseback Riding, Picnic Area, Picnic Shelter, Playground, Restrooms, Scenic Driving Routes, Showers, Snowmobiling, Trail, Interpretive, Trails, Cross Country Skiing, Trails, Equestrian, Trails, Hiking, Trails, Snowmobile, Wildflower Viewing, Wildlife Viewing

Very light traffic, although we did go after all the leaves had fallen so that probably had a lot to do with it; would be gorgeous with the fall foliage! Rugged trail, very uneven. My dog loved it! :). Will definitely go again.

love it

love it here

Great place to hike with family. Wonderful views (I imagine they would be even better in the fall) when you reach the trail at the side of the bluff/hill, a little steep on the trail to get there, but nothing too difficult to handle. Worth the stop for sure.

Waubonsie state park has 7 miles of hiking trails and 8 miles of equestrian trails that you can hike. The area is hilly but not too strenuous. The park is all trees, hills, and valleys. You can see deer, turkeys, and a variety of birds. The trails are wide and well kept and have benches every mile or so as well as informational signs to read. We have hiked here at different times throughout the year and always enjoy it.

Beautiful sights looking out over Iowa/Nebraska! Went in January 3rd and the trails were beautiful with the snow covering the trails! If you're in the area and are looking for something to do, I definitely suggest going and walking through!

My wife and I walked the Bridge trail with some of our relatives. It was a nice hike, however the signage along the way could be repaired. There were areas that directional signs should have been, but the signs were missing. Great scenery however and a nice place to hike. We will be back to hike more of the trails.

It must be said that I am a backpacker. Give me miles of trails and room to pitch a tent along them and I'm satisfied. However, I also have a family, and that family enjoys the outdoors, but their idea of it is not as extreme as mine. Waubonsie State Park was perfect for them. We rented a cabin, just under $100 a night which came with indoor plumbing, two bedrooms (with doors) indoor fireplace, working kitchen (stove and microwave). A/C and heat, all in a great location. Out back there was access to a fire-pit and even a platform deck built to overlook the woods (Cabin #3). The trails are all pretty short (with exception to the equestrian trail, 5mi) but were filled with beautiful scenes. When my family wants to enjoy the outdoors, this is the first place I'll check.