Heery Woods State Park & Trail System

Heery Woods State Park & Trail System is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Clarksville, IA that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

fly fishing

old growth

This is a good local trail for all day hike skill levels. The park offers a campground with water and electric services, as well as tent camping, but does not offer any "modern" bath/shower houses or restrooms. Both a hard surface and dirt hiking trail are available. I day hiked a new location today in Clarksville, Iowa with our black lab Autumn, our youngest son's yellow lab Daisy, and my brother's jack russell terrier O'Hanna. I saw a lot of wildlife on this trek. My hands were full, and I must say if the "yellow Child" hadn't have bolted-off in high speed pursuit after a startled white tail deer for 15 min, three separate times, the hike would have been a little less frustrating... But that's a young labs job now isn't it?...:) This is a good local trail for all day hike skill levels. The park offers a campground with water and electric services, as well as tent camping, but does not offer any "modern" bath/shower houses or restrooms. Both a hard surface bike and jogging trail and dirt hiking trails are available. The trailhead starts out right at the campground park parallel to the hard surface bike trail and then the dirt hiking trail veers off towards the Shell Rock river, and for the most part follows the river until it gets about 1/2 way around the loop then heads back to the park near the hard surface rail trail.