Maquoketa Caves State Park

Maquoketa Caves State Park is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Maquoketa, IA that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

The views were great and I love how we were able to walk through the the caves

Beautiful! My boyfriend and I spent almost a whole day there!

Very fun hike! Good for my 4 and 7 year old boys. My only complaint is that the trails aren't marked well.

We were @ the caves in Maquoketa state park on Sept17th/ need to have garbage can's @ least outside shelter buildings. Only in bathroom and they were very, very over full! Lots of garbage down by trails / around the caves. I realize they can not get so easy to garbage can's down by caves but there is a solution for a small part of this. People riding around in gators can @ least dump the garbage can's in the bathrooms. It was between noon and 3:00 when we were there. Hate to see such a great park get run down by simple things that can be done. The caves are wonderfull!!! Our grandson loved them.

My family and I love the caves. We enjoy hiking here a few times each year as it is fairly close to home. The trails are beautiful and caves are definitely a great work of art by nature. The kids and dog love getting dirty while spelunking through the various caves and creeks. Highly recommended!

The caves were really cool, first time I'd ever been! Loved it!

Really nice spots, great nature with caves and small rivers. You can visit ice caves and/or rainy caves.

I loved the view, the trails were interesting and we even saw a doe and her babies. Highly recommend!

Went on a Tuesday, which I would highly recommend. parking was no problem, but weekend was packed. trails and caves were great. bring flashlight and walkie talkies for when you get separated, bug spray, water, and a towel if warm.

it was amazing. Would do it again. However, I found the map and markers around the trail to be confusing. it seemed as if I was not the only one confused either.

Beautiful scenery. Trail is not long but you can do several loops. Would do again!

This is a fun place. There are caves for all abilities. We visited right after a rainstorm so we encountered significant mud, but it was great fun. There are not miles and miles of trails, so if you are looking to log miles, this is not a great place. The trails are heavily traveled and packed.

Came here with friends after moving to the area lots of unique in and around the caves. Not what you'd expect in Iowa.

rock climbing