Two Lakes Loop Trail

Two Lakes Loop Trail is a 11.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near St Croix, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Two Lakes Loop is a 13.5 mile loop trail located near St Croix, Indiana and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Friend and I did the outer loop 2/18-19 2017. We were first timers, so I thought I would write a review for other first timers. See my uploaded photo with the map and red arrows. Tried to point out specific camp locations with existing fire rings. We parked at the Celina lake boat ramp, hiked counterclockwise to the northern most camp on the west side of Indian lake...thinking that was about halfway - not. The switchbacks along the southern section make the trail much longer than we thought. Don't rely on pumping from Indian lake in the winter months, they lower the level and it is surrounded by mud flats. There are numerous small flowing water locations around both lakes - the locations on the map that show a blue line are the more major ones. Enjoyed the numerous pine stands that broke up the hardwood forest views. I would suggest parking at one of the parking locations along the main entry road just passed where the trail crosses - they all have connector trails to get you to the outer loop. Trekking poles are necessary, lots of slippery slopes. For beginner/entry-level backpackers I would suggest utilizing the cut-through trail the first time, the outer loop I would call more for the moderate/more experienced "Indiana" backpacker. Lots of elevation changes and water crossings make this trail adventurous. Some of the water crossings would require shoes and socks off to cross after a major rain. It rained on us Sat. afternoon and evening, but we could still tip toe across all water crossings on Sun.. It was interesting to find out portions of this trail are part of the American Discovery Trail (google it, interesting reading). Take the interpretive trail south of the Celina boat ramp - along the lake - it has some interesting rock remnants of the sandstone quarry. It was a very enjoyable trail and can't wait to do it again.

Great weekend backpacking trip. Great for beginners.

love camping here. go back every year

Nice part of forrest, and easy to find trailhead.

Great hike. Not too many hunters even when I went on the first day of deer season.

We hiked eight miles. Well marked and a very clean trail, well maintained. Also part of the Discovery trail that runs east to west across the US.

great trail. lots of long uphills for a challenge. i will go back

Excellent hike. Glad we did this one

Good spot!

I've hiked this trail twice in the last month, first with my 10 year old son, then with my 8 year old. Both times we had a great experience. The first time through we hiked it clockwise and found that the trail re-route signs were removed and we hadn't been alerted to the reroute, so we hiked through the logging area on the way out. Also on the early June hike there were several downed trees along the trail. On July 1 we found that the trail had been mostly cleared of fallen trees and debris.

It is unfortunate to see some of the trash left behind, especially at the campsites. One on the north side of Indian Lake near some bluffs is especially trashy.

There are excellent views and established sites along the trails. Water sources (besides the lakes) were more plentiful in early June, but after a dry spell they were more scarce.

Both hikes we ran into only a couple of people. We saw lots of wildlife, including snakes, numerous box turtles (early June), deer, turkeys, fish, crawdads, toads, frogs, and more.

Husband and I went out this weekend for a short overnight backpacking trip. We started from the first parking area and set out going clockwise around the lakes. We found a great established campsite on the northwest end of Indian Lake with a fire pit and enough kindling left by former campers to last awhile. The trail itself is well-marked, except for a brief spot where it intersects with an active logging road. Follow your map and use your sense of direction and it's not too hard to navigate. The hiking is moderate, some decent hills and challenging enough to not be boring. I would have liked some overlooks up on the ridges, but you can't have it all! Overall we had a fun trip and especially enjoyed a restful evening at our campsite.

This has been on my backpacking to do list for a few years. Took the afternoon off and went out with my son and dog. Parked midway down the connector trail and set off south 0.9 miles to the loop. Headed west toward Indian Lake. There were lots of weeds growing over the trail with an army of ticks on them waiting to hitch a ride. Didn't see many established camp sites so we made our own and hung our hammocks near some rocky cliffs on the North Side close to Tige Creek. Both Tige and Anderson River had a decent amount of flowing water. At night we heard the usual crickets and bullfrogs and also heard some coyotes and owls. I'm puzzled by how so many ticks found their way into my hammock at night.

On day 2 we hiked trough an open area that had been logged a few years ago before. I shake my head when I see large sections of trees cut down but on the other hand enjoy seeing the plants and flowers that are growing there. Then we came to an active logging area. At that point the trail was destroyed by machinery and the white diamond blazes were difficult to find. We felt lost while walking through the crisscrossing tire tracks but eventually found the trail. Once we hit the main road we decided to get off the trail and head to the campground to make lunch and refill our water.

Got back on the trail and headed for Lake Celina. This section of the trail was better established so the ticks were not as big of a problem. There were several camp sites too. We saw some turtles, a rat snake and some leftover pieces of a squirrel that the dog went nuts over. Walked across the dam and had some nice views of the quiet lake and had a nice conversation with one of the few people we saw on the trail.

We originally were going to take it easy and spend 2 nights on the trail but cut it short due to the insane amount of ticks. I might do this again when it's cooler and bring the fishing poles next time. On our way out I talked to the gate guard about the loggers tearing up the trail. He seemed frustrated by this and said he'd report it to the appropriate people.

I just came home from hiking this trail. First of all, it would be great if the gate guard let you know what trails are rerouted. Or, have map inserts that inform you before you make a plan. Secondly... the logging is just a mess. For the first few rerouted miles I couldn't even tell if I was actually on a trail. There was absolutely NO trail grooming. If I didn't already set my mind to it, I would not have chosen this trail. The hike was pretty boring except for the few lake views and deer. Of course, It is a dry spell, so there was zero water to cross. I did meet a few couples, one camping, and a father/son/dog group that I was happy to chat with.
I was told the tick were bad on parts of this trail, but I didn't encounter that issue where I hiked. (around Lake Celine) I was very happy with the trail markers. Easy to follow.

it was a great trail few nice views and few rock features, the two lakes were beautiful, didn't like all the trash on the trails

The best backcountry camping I've found in Indiana. You'll come upon at least 10 fire rings along your journey to set camp.

It's secluded — very secluded. I've hiked it twice (once on a holiday weekend) and only ran into 2-3 small groups each time.

Water can be a little tricky in late summer, unless you don't mind filtering lake water. I prefer streams and clear pools, and have had luck trekking the creek beds to find water in the drier periods.

Made a half-hearted attempt to find Jason Falls, but it wasn't the right time of year — too overgrown, plus the streams were dry, so I knew the falls wouldn't be "falling." I think March would be a great time (warm enough for an adventure, no foliage to whack through, and enough water to witness the falls).