Charlestown Trail #3

Charlestown Trail #3 is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Charlestown, IN that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Wooded hike along Fourteenmile Creek, river views, ridge hiking The trail begins with a very steep road grade that once led to a footbridge over Fourteenmile Creek. The bridge provided access to Rose Island, a 1920s amusement park. The Rose Island facilities were damaged beyond repair by the 1937 flood, and the bridge was removed once the Army bought the land in the 1940s. Good areas for stream-bank fishing can be reached by following the gravel portion of Trail 3 to Fourteenmile Creek. The middle section of this trail is very scenic with views of Fourteenmile Creek, rock cliffs high above the trail, abundant spring wildflowers, and mixed deciduous forests.

Great views and kinda has that Chernobyl abandoned kinda feel to it. Wasn't too crowded but definitely saw a few other hikers. It's a hike from a parking lot to a bridge that takes you to an island on the Ohio river that used to have a amusement park on it in the mid thirties. Unique type of hike.

Loved this trail.
Visited trail 3 - twice in the same week I was so impressed.

I really liked this trail. There is a concrete walkway to the bridge and then it turns into an actual trail. I loved how it was a nice hike through the woods with a sudden transfer to a different terrain to finish out on. The only thing was that I left my windows cracked and came back to a car filled with stink bugs.

Very pretty, peaceful and challenging. my husband, myself and our three kids enjoyed it. The hike back uphill was intense for me, I'm a plus size hiker, but I did it!!

Pretty and easy to follow. I completed all the trails in the park in one day and enjoyed every step.

Trail #3 has an additional trail that can only be accessed from trail #3, the park calls it trail #7 - it consists of Rose Island. This area was used as an amusement park /resort in the early 1900s. There are informational markers along the trail as well as the old pool (filled in) and some stone structures from the pier.

a great scenic walk but their are some places with inclines. During spring the trail can be saturated...

This was a very nice trail. First part is paved and continues into an old amusement park area that is very different and interesting to read and learn about! I had my two small dogs with me and they did wonderful. The unpaved part of the trail that makes the loop was beautiful as well. you stay on the Ohio River for a good But of it and gives some great views. Overall, I was impressed!

Fun trail! We went down the road all the way to the trail which i recommend. Also walked across the bridge to Rose Island which was totally unexpected. A lot of fun with great scenery and different topography.

Beautiful walk - be sure to take hard left immediately after bridge rather than going straight down to Ohio.

Nice trail with pretty forest and some decent views of the stream. Mostly shaded. There is no marker at the top end of the trail where it turns left off the paved road shortly past the parking lot. Even with a map, we weren't sure for a while whether we'd found Trail 3 or 4.

If you don't want a LONG uphill at the end of the hike, go all the way down the paved road and turn onto Trail 3 just before the bridge. Better yet, cross the bridge and take a walk around Rose Island, and then take Trail 3 once you come back across the bridge. Great views of the Ohio from Rose Island, and it's fun to see where the old amusement park was. Interpretive signs and recordings on the island are great.

I like this trail. I hike it a few times a year. It can be a little tricky to find with the paved start and walking bridge. You just take a left when you get to the bottom of the hill before the walking bridge and you will be good. You will come out at the top of the hill on the paved path. Or you can go reverse and have the HUGE hill at the end. lol.

The scenery is absolutely gorgeous, but the trail is not well marked. I started out going downhill (quite steeply downhill) on a paved road but I had no idea that was part of trail 3. I did cross the bridge to what I assumed was Rose Island (again, it was not marked) to try and find trail 7. Never saw a sign for trail 7 even though I came to two intersections on the path. I could only hope I was going the right way. Finally saw a small marker that said trail 3 after crossing back over the bridge and followed this path. It gets narrow in places and at one point, I thought it had ended. If the views weren't so spectacular, I wouldn't go back but the views of the Ohio River and 14 mile are really stunning.