Shades State Park Trail

Shades State Park Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Marshall, Indiana that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Shades State Park is a great place to hit some what I would consider rugged trails for a state park. Trail 8 offers some difficult terrain with rocks to navigate through as well as a small creek to walk through. It connects with other trails nearby so you can create a route any distance you want.

Great views, walked trails 1 & 2 yesterday and enjoyed each. Be sure to wear shoes or boots with good grip and expect to get your socks a little wet if they aren't waterproof! Overall enjoyed my Shades experience.

In my top 5. We go at least once a month, love it.

Beautiful, mysterious, peaceful, and scenic!

Fun trails. The ravines are fun to hike!

Great park!

awesome hike!

We enjoyed the scenery on this trail. With our 8-year-old and toddler in tow, we had a great time finding our way through trails 7 and 8 while keeping our feet dry (the baby backpack was a must for the little one for sure).

Lots of elevation change, most I've seen in Indiana outside of southern Indiana.

I love this park! It's got some wonderful trails that include ladder climbing. it can get a bit rough and some of the elevation inclines might be too much for some. Still, the beauty of it overlooking the river valley is something to see!

This is the place to go if you want to experience Turkey Run without the crowds. Just as beautiful, with a much larger dose of serenity.

Beautiful scenery with moderate inclines and declines. Expect to get shoes a little wet and muddy but not bad. Trail has minimal traffic on it and is well marked.