Low Gap Trail is a 10.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Martinsville, Indiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.
Excellent trail, although much of the trail utilizes a service road. The highlights of the back country are, in my opinion, located on the trail section located east of Low Gap Road. Several pine tree stands and creek crossings were the scenic portions of this trail on a mid-January day.
great trail. perfect if your a serious hiker. up and down lots of hills. Barkley (my dog) and I loved it. WE WILL BE BACK!
Trail is well marked. Was able to filter water from the creek beds. Well travelled and worth spending a night on. Thanks to the Hoosier Hikers for the work they do to maintain the trail.
Truly one of the better scenic hikes in the area. However probably 4 miles or so of the trail is on gravel service road which is all around awful to walk on. I was able to do the hike in about 3 hours. Also, there is a lot of hunting around the trail this time of the year so make sure to wear bright colors! All around it is well marked and a great backcountry hike.
Large rock roads are annoying, but actual trail in woods is beautiful. Always feel great after completing the 10 mile loop.
I read the reviews prior to going myself. About half of the trail is rock roads, which is awful on your feet. The actual trails, though, did not disappoint. I recently moved down to Illinois for work, from North Dakota, where I've been used to plains hiking in the Badlands, but I am originally from Georgia and have hiked several sections of the App Trail in the north Georgia mountains. I did have some difficulty with some of the inclines, as some were very, very steep gains and I didn't have poles with me. The most scenic areas are parts of the mostly dried creek bed and then the natural rock shelter. The rest was just a walk in the woods, and a very long walk at that. Everything looking basically the same made the length of the hike a bit of a struggle. I agree with the Hard rating of this hike.
Good trail with accents spaced nicely. Quite a bit of traveling on gravel backroads, but nothing terrible.
Good long hike. Not too challenging other than distance. Typical hike in the woods. We got a hard down poor in the middle of the trail which turned the trail into a stream. Made for an unusual experience. An average payoff for the effort.
Nice lengthy trail. Might have passed a dozen other hikers. Not extremely scenic. Down in the creek, which was dried up, was the prettiest area. Other than that, it was just a walk in the woods. Took about 3h45m. Feet are a little sore from walking on all those rocks.
Take lots of H2O. A little dry at the bottoms right now
Fun trail. I love Morgan Monroe forest good trails and not many people out on them.
Great trail, very scenic and lively. Walked it in the end of June, not many bugs or ticks.
A good workout. (We combined it with the Ridge Trail to total 14 miles.)The trail is well marked. Scenery is gorgeous. We met about 12 people along the trail. About 25% of the trail is actually gravel roads. Leaving 75% of wonderful trail. Not a lot of roots. I agree with previous comments. The recommendation for very experienced "adventurers" only likely is endurance -related. Ended up with one tick, no problem with mosquitos. Planning on hiking the 3 lakes trail next.
It was quite, just the sounds of nature. Still a lot of down trees on the trail you have to climb over. Would love to see them move these trailer into the woods. Seem like most of the trails where on rocky roads.
Great hike today. My first solo 10 mile hike. Well marked. A few spots where trees have fallen on the trail but it looks like they do a good job of getting them cleared.
It was nice!
Lot of dried up water sources. Good stretches on old fire roads
Excellent trail except for long portions of gravel road.
Gorgeous scenery. But, please know that it's against the law to kill an endangered timber rattlesnake if you encounter one on the trail. They are shy by nature, and only about half their bites even contain venom. Either back off, be patient, and give it a chance to leave, or give it a wide berth and go around. We were sad to meet up with someone who apparently did not know how to handle the situation.
Did trail counter clockwise. Pretty muddy from rain night before. Great hike and nice distance. Marked very well.