Loop Island Trail

Loop Island Trail is a 0.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near New Albany, IN that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice loop around a marsh and wetlands, goes to the Ohio river, I forgot to turn this ap on till half way thru the trip but it's an easily marked trail

I'm a local, and while at the right time of day at the right time of year it can be beautiful in some spots, I honestly cannot recommend this trail.

a trucking company next to the wetlands will tow your car (probably after its been broken into)

There is considerable sketchy activity that occurs there and it's full of garbage, up to and including discarded drug needles.

i would recommend driving 8 more minutes to hit the trails at Lapping Park in neighboring Clarksville, Indiana.

It's behind an old storage building (of sorts), so it's hard to find (and park, as you have to make a spot). Once you do park, though, head straight and there'll be a paved path that runs into a dead end of old railroad tracks. If you look on the right there's a path (not paved, but flat and easy) headed into the woods that "loops" around and puts you back onto the paved trail. It was a little muddy when I went because of the rainfall, but it wasn't all that bad. It was nice for me to find a trail I could do because I'm very clumsy and can't do difficult trails. It was nice to find this in the city. Nothing all that great, but it is nice to see a little bit of nature in the city.

If for no other reason to do this trail other than just to get another trail on your personal list, don't do it. It stars as a concrete walking path on top of a flood wall. As you look to the right towards the river, you can see tons, and I mean tons the weight, of trash. If you look towards the left you see a housing project. Once you actually get to the trail head and start, you see more of the same. Trash and debris. I suggest taking some sort of protection because you might need it. AWFUL!

this area is pretty deceptive when you first arrive. there is no real easy way to access the trail and it's right behind and old industrial area, so at first you feel like you might see a drug deal do down, or come back to your car missing it's tires. the industrial look is kinda cool and is a photographers wet dream. though I wouldn't recommend going close to getting dark. we parked right by the Loop Island Wetlands sign. after you walk through all the over grown concrete and get on the paved trail it's pretty nice. the paved trail takes you to some gravel and dirt trails that go along the wetlands. if you go out far enough one trail takes you to the river. overall it's a nice nature walk, nothing too hard. seems like a place highschoolers like to go to hangout by how many of them I saw and all the fast food trash left behind.

I was not expecting very much from this trail but was pleasantly surprised. This trail is located behind a rundown abandoned leather company and the area looks ghetto. The trail is about 1 mile and is surrounded by silver creek and swamp and takes you to where silver creek joins the ohio river. I saw deer and people fishing. This place could be really nice if it was taken care of but it's still a place I would recommend to check out. Very cool!