Little Calumet River Trail Loop

Little Calumet River Trail Loop is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chesterton, IN that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Was there Friday, little soupy in some spots. Great trail

Nice one 1.5 hour, 3.5 mile walk in the woods and fields. It's not remote and if you look and listen you will see power lines and hear trains nearby. But, if you look even closer you will see huge trees that once lined old roads and settlements as well as a lot of wildlife and variety of plants. The Bailley home and cemetary are maintained by the park service and the trails are well maintained. The trail could be more clearly marked at some places.
As of October 2015 there is a section closed that had many wooden steps going through a ravine. And a section goes through a field that apparently used to go by the river instead. I will try to upload a newer track than the one I found here.

I enjoy walking here...yes some of the signs seem to throw you off but you can find your way. Can stay wet at times but all and all a good walk. By the way I like loud trains :)

Not a bad trail for Northern Indiana. Enjoyed the walk along the river and ridges. Had the same issue as previous reviewer. Came to a Fork and took left leg expecting it to meet with return trail. it did not. Went back to fork and took right leg which end at nature camp. Finally back tracked the way I came. Will try alternate route heading east next time to see if the trails ever meet.

Meh...

Not Bad little trail, I'm not a fan of how the start of it goes through a prairie OR the fact that there was a LOUD train rolling past said prairie. The trail did eventually go into the woods a bit. As I was walking, I was looking and looking for the trails namesake "The Little Calumet River" and eventually found it. Unfortunately there was a big sign that cautioned people about going in or around the river due to sewage contamination after any rain has occurred. Having read that sign, I decided that it'd be prudent not to go into the river like EVER.

It's kinda sad... the river looked like it could have been a great little place to dip your feet. We humans have such a huge impact on our environment... no-one seems to notice what we ruin in the process of our expansion. But, I digress... this is about the trail and not humanities inevitable ruination of natures beauty.

I enjoyed walking along the narrow trail, which was slightly overgrown unlike the prairie section which was VERY clean, well maintained and recently mowed. Colors were changing (Late September) and the woods were on fire, deep and bright reds, yellows and orange... just wow. Keep walking and you wind up at a small footbridge which crosses over the river and lends a nice photo opportunity. There's a boardwalk which extends maybe a quarter mile at most, clean, maintained as much as is really necessary.

The last part of the trail gets tricky... here's what I don't like - there are no "This Way" signs. I came to a fork... looked left, looked right then, looked at the dogs. They picked left and I just hoped they were correct. They were not, we somehow wound up coming out at the main road (Howe St.) which leads to the trailhead. Not a big deal but I would have loved if I did NOT walk on a relatively busy road for the last 1/2 mile or so of my hike.

I can see coming back here sometime, not as much as I go to the Indiana Dunes (Very Close By), but maybe as a detour on the way TO the dunes.

Nice easy trails.

This is a very nice spot to go for an afternoon hike that is relatively flat. The area provides a glimpse of Northwest Indianas settlement history. The trails are wide compact dirt or bark and some sand, and some benches throughout. This spot has many facets, nice wooded shad, wetland boardwalks, ravines and prairie meadow grasslands. Well worth the afternoon.