Knobstone Trail: Spurgeon Hollow to Delaney Park

Knobstone Trail: Spurgeon Hollow to Delaney Park is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Little York, IN that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

5.8 miles 1238 feet Point to Point

Completed a portion of the trail at Delaney Park. Parts were closed, so we had to make up some of our own route. One of the more challenging trails in Indiana.

A fun day hike and a grat place to play in the woods. This is the section of trail that I most frequent on the KT.

I actually hiked the delaney park loop which is not listed on trails.com. It was not very well maintained and was closed down but I hiked it anyway. You have to search for blazes and it's really easy to get off the trail.

This is loop trail covering 6+ miles. Starting @ the trailhead by the lake the trail is flat & very easy with nice wooded forest. Trail was dry, but my brother, who has hiked this before in the early spring, said that it can be a bit sloppy in places. After close to 2 & 1/2 miles trail makes left turn & begins a steep ascent, which doesn't last too long. Upon arriving on a ridge, you will be glad to hear that most of the rest of the trail will be mostly flat. Eventually you will come to a gravel road & you will go left & continue following the white blazes. At around mile 4 & 1/2, the trail will start to decend. Be careful, lots of places to lose your footing on the way down. Hiking stick is highly recommended. When you arrive back @ the lake, go right onto the trail & it will take you back to parking lot. I would rate this as moderate given the distance, with a short difficult ascent. Enjoyed it tremendously. My brother & I hiked this in October in sunny chilly weather. I was visiting from Western North Carolina.

From Delaney Park to Elk Creek Park, Beautiful and tough, climbs are steep and close. With a heavy backpack makes it a very hard trip. But love it, enjoy it, best keep secret in Indiana. Did not make all the way to Elk Creek, was picked up at highway 56.