Kekionga Trail

Kekionga Trail is a 11.4 mile loop trail located near Huntington, IN that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

old growth

This trail is closed to mountain bikes now, hiking only.

This trail is closed to bikes now, hiking only. It is very difficult to locate the trail on the south side of the lake.

My guide book had me park at the lake overlook off of IN 5, and walk across the dam. If you are going to do the full loop you have to do this part. Little dangerous walking 1 mile on the shoulder of the highway.

There is also a rifle range on the south side, so don't think about jumping fences.
I saw a male bald eagle soaring through a gully and I was about 30 feet from it. That made it all worth it.

There are a lot of downed trees on the north side that completely cut off the trail. I had to bushwack around or crawl through them. As a result, I picked up 3 ticks. Be sure to check yourself from head to toe after.

Not horrible for a Northeastern Indiana hike. Just remember where you are, this is no trail out west.

Per the DNR this trail is no longer open. Don't waste a trip!!!