Ly-co-ki-we Trail

Ly-co-ki-we Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chesterton, IN that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, horses, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

One of the better trails in the park. nice dune hiking

This is a lovely trail through the woods, I am not sure what the pictures refer to as you are in the woods the whole time and there are markers with the trail name. The trails are primarily sand and if you go on the extensions, mostly dirt, and all are well maintained. Apart from that you are hiking on sand, which is a new twist for me, and perhaps the length, I'm not sure why this is considered a hard trail as there really are no significant hills. It was very nice though.

No dunes or ridges on this trail. Not sure what the other reviewers were referring to. Mostly flat. Lots of trees, but not terribly scenic. Not sure why it's rated hard. Moderate is more like it. Mostly loose sandy trail slows down the pace a bit, but otherwise a good hike.

Did Trail 9 yesterday. It's labeled as moderate, but I'm heavy and new to exercise. It was definitely challenging, especially in ridge "blowout" areas with deeper loose sand. It was worth it! I felt good about myself when I finished, and the view was BEAUTIFUL!

Love it

Trail 9 in the state park was great! It followed the ridge so you had a view of the lake most of the time! Would do it again!

Park and dunes are great. The beach and lake are like the ocean. Smokestacks.

Nice scenic route in the summer and winter.

Nice scenery and good length. Much of the trail is loose sand and dirt. I wouldn't say it was difficult except maybe the loose dirt is a bit different and the occasional dodging of horse poopys. We have a 6 year old that loves hiking and she managed fine on it and we did 10 miles. I would go again and it's a nice trail to try.

This is a combination trail also used by horses. Overall it was decently rigorous and scenic. The undergrowth is very thick, and I saw a lot of animal life.

people you're misleading the uninformed.. ly ko ki we is the trail from dunes station to dunewood campground in the national park, it runs parallel between rt 12 and rt 20.. its a good 8 miles on the direct route, longer if you use loops, parts of this trail are horse use also. half of the comments here are referring to the dunes state park trails, good trails but not the one in the title.

I run there a few times weekly. If you know your way, you can make it an easy run, or you can get one of the hardest workout in your training log. The ridge and trail 8 will rock your world. Trail 2 is flat as a board. If you go, you will want too go back "Guaranteed". On a clear day, you will have a great view of the Chicago sky line, from the ridge.

Ran on a couple of the different trails. A few loose sandy parts, but scenery was to die for. Going to make it a monthly run!