Cowles Bog Trail

Cowles Bog Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chesterton, IN that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Cowles Bog is a 5 mile loop trail located near Chesterton, Indiana and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Nice trail, not to hard with the exception of the dune by the beach. I used this as a warm-up for some of the other trails in the park. If the weather is nice you can jump in the lake for a swim and cool off before heading back.

This is a great trail to do if you're looking for a little exercise as there are some good, steep hills as you near the beach. Mosquitos weren't terrible, but I'd still recommend bug repellent. Oh, and prepare to get a lot of sand in your shoes!

This is a great trail. You can make it different distances with a couple cut through trails. Going all the way to the beach is fun - big hill just before the beach.

Excellent variety between bog, hardwood forest and dune environments. Throw in Lake Michigan and the Chicago skyline as a bonus.

Nice view from top of dune. Great variety of foliage. Pretty beach.

Great hike! loved the break in-between, exploring the beach before heading back into the woods :)

It was a decent trail. We went in the summer so there were lots of bugs which was to be expected since the trail runs through a boggy area. The beach was pretty at the end but the hike back up the sandy dune was tough. Bring lots of water and wear close toe shoes.

this was a super fun trail in a great adventure for me and my family. We took a stroller and that turned out to be a good challenge because of the dirt sand mix end big incline's. all in all though a great Trail and and definitely a repeat without the stroller

It was great! Went with my family. We had our 7month old in his stroller. I wouldn't advise a stroller. But we did complete the entire trail. About midway we splashed about in the beach

Fairly challenging trail but not impossible. I enjoyed the view and all the wildlife. Beautiful place.

Nice level terrain with a few gentle ups and downs. Terrain was a sand dirt mix. Trail was wide and well maintained without low overhangs. Our 5 year old hiked it easily. Would also be excellent with horses.

This trail is beautiful the leads to a beach that accessible only by foot and boat. The trail is rated as moderate but due to the soft sand and the height of the dunes as you near the lake I found it to be quite a workout. When you reach Lake Michigan on the north branch of the trail you will need to descend what seemed to me like an extremely steep dune that was pretty hair raising.

Great, tranquil trail. The location is somewhat secluded so there aren't a ton of people. Perfect choice if you're looking to get alone and enjoy nature for a bit.

I've never hiked in sand before so it was a new challenge! Had a great time. The beautiful view from the shoreline makes it all worth it

This trail is one of my favorites in the area. Leads you to a beach that is normally very empty. Bring a picnic lunch and sit on the beach after completing the first half of your hike!

The trails were dry, despite all the rain lately. The trail is rated as easy, but depending on your pace and fitness level become difficult as you near the higher dunes by Lake Michigan.