Cope Hollow Loop Trail

Cope Hollow Loop Trail is a 10.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Heltonville, IN that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

I enjoyed a hike into this trail from Blackwell campground. The hike up to the pond is simple, not a lot of elevation change, clear enough and low creeks. If it rained anyttime soon I would avoid this as this trail sees more horses than hikers. We avoided the mud, but it was firmed up given our recent dry spell.

The pond was about 2.7miles in and a great overnighter. Flat spot to camp (multiple tents could stay there and a nice firepit). I hiked in water (pond water was...well pond looking), and I didn't trust the streams given recent weather but if you are doing a multi day.... there was enough there to be filtered in a pinch.

I didn't see any reason to keep going east to take the loop all the way around....the northern part of the loop is just too close to tower ridge rd (perhaps in the winter when there is no traffic, but not in the fall).

Given great weather (sunny 60s and 40s at night).....the pond was very enjoyable on a fall day. Rather than doing the norther loop....I would recommend doing a longer hike and going all the way up to the Grubb Ridge trail.

Rating stars lost because the loop overlap with the road and horse traffic, but this can still be enjoyed given the low foot traffic (unluck other parts of Deam Wilderness that have high foot traffic).

This was very very muddy because of the horses and the ticks we're terrible..

Was a nice overnight this winter. Didn't see a soul.

Average trail. No one else on the trail (Thursday through Friday). The one campsite has had quite a few trees fall and is not what it used to be.

It was a nice trail. I loved the Tall pine trees. The only thing I didn't like is that it was a horse trail also. There were a couple of stream crossings but they were dry. It was a nice day I only saw 8 people all day